First Film you saw at the Cinema in Sheffield

Can remember vividly walking from Liverpool Street, up the hill to Adelphi, holding my nannans hand skippin n grinnin from ear to ear (was 21 at time) :) No I was about 8 n was going to see Sound of Music ..................

Can remember vividly walking from Liverpool Street, up the hill to Adelphi, holding my nannans hand skippin n grinnin from ear to ear (was 21 at time) :) No I was about 8 n was going to see Sound of Music ..................

Same here, remember going to odeon in fitzallen sq, was about 5 and went to see sound of music, also rememeber going to see bambi about same age and dad taking us to see one million years bc. was only about 6 or 7, god knows why he took us to see that, he must have fancied raquel welch, god bless him..:)

Sound of music is still my fave film ever.

Us kids would go to the Saturday Matinee at the Phoenix on Langsett Road, opposite Hillsborough Barracks, back in the 50s. Our favourite was always Norman Wisdom.

Our family treat every Saturday night was to go into Hillsborough, to the Park Cinema or Kinema, sometimes the Phoenix. On the way home we would get chips 'n cake (we couldn't afford fish in those days) from the fish 'n chip shop on Rudyard Road and then go to Jack's, at the top of Bamforth Street for a hot drink of Sarsaparilla.

I can remember seeing lots of films from the fifties, mainly war films or cowboys. One favourite was The River of No Return with that blond girl - what's 'er name? - must have been my first crush.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=xaqmValBiOo

Oh - the memories... The three cinemas that Nodens mentions were also the regular ones where I grew up. Occasionally we'd go further afield to the Unity, Roscoe or Don. The first film I remember seeing was The Ladykillers (Alec Guinness, Peter Sellers, Herbert Lom) at the Park Cinema in about 1956 - hilariously funny. Jack's sarsparilla bar was also a regular haunt. Jack Lee must have retired in the mid-1970s; I doubt if you can get properly-brewed sarsparilla now - delicious hot or cold.

star wars.... at the abc... got me hooked on sci fi it did...

Oh - the memories... The three cinemas that Nodens mentions were also the regular ones where I grew up. Occasionally we'd go further afield to the Unity, Roscoe or Don. The first film I remember seeing was The Ladykillers (Alec Guinness, Peter Sellers, Herbert Lom) at the Park Cinema in about 1956 - hilariously funny. Jack's sarsparilla bar was also a regular haunt. Jack Lee must have retired in the mid-1970s; I doubt if you can get properly-brewed sarsparilla now - delicious hot or cold.

Hey beechnut

I bought a stoneware bottle of Mawson's Sarsaparilla (made to the original recipe) at the Rheged Centre, near Penrith, Cumbria last year. It's the first time I've had any since those days of my childhood. As I drank it I closed my eyes and for a minute I was back in Jack's in the good old days.

i can remember going to see tommy steele in tommy the toriadore at the cinema house in barkers pool .My mum used to work at the original Odeon in flat street i can remember going there to see steeve reeves in the last days of pompei.She used to get a pass to let you in for free so i saw quite a lot of films in the late 50s early 60s

my first film i saw at the pictures was Oliver in around 1969 thought it was great. I was only 6 i can't remember which cinema it was though

101 dalmations at esseldo at lane top, late 60,s. that cruella de ville woman was scary. 30 years later i married the twisted bitch

it was either "the battle of britain" or "where eagles dare" can't remember whch cinema possibly abc or gaumont,it was a school trip one afternoon (myers grove) both great films.

the scariest i've ever seen was the "devil rides out" that was way back in the seventies at the studio 567 (can't remeber any of the actors/actress) it frightened the living daylights out of my then girlfriend so much so she woke her parents at around 2.30 am saying she could'nt sleep.boy did i get a right old rollocking of her father,god bless him,gone to the great rollocking platform in the sky.:wave: :wave:

The Devil Rides Out. Cast includes Charles Gray, Christopher Lee and Sarah Lawson.

think it was gi blues at the old rex cinema n ust 2 go 2 the old abc on a sat mornin wen i was young

I can remember watching Snow White & Pinocchio at the Crookes Palace circa 1949. In 1950 I saw Cinderella and Treasure Island starring Robert Newton ( all Disney classics ) at the Gaumont. Remember the follow up

" The Adventures of Long John Silver " on TV ?

Another film that sticks in my memory is Captain Blood with Errol Flynn in the leading role. Although made in 1935 , before I was born , I saw it at the Hippodrome in the early 50's.