First Film you saw at the Cinema in Sheffield

I can remember being taken to see Jungle Book when I was quite young, found out later it was because my Mum was giving birth to my younger Bro.

For me it was The empire strikes back at the Gaumont

The first film that I still have memories of is 'The Sound Of Music' around 1965 at the old Odeon on Flat Street. It still makes me shudder to think about it. However the most important 'first film' was the one I went to without my parents (well, my mother. My dad couldn't bother his a*se). That was 2001 A Space Oddysey at the ABC Angel Street (c1969). Remember it? The ceiling looked like the starship Enterprise. It was also amazing that I was assistant manager of the place less than 15 years later. Still had carbon arc projectors at the time. Also had the second largest Todd AO (70MM) screen in the UK. Those were the days.

Any film & projection technology buffs out there? Lets talk. I worked in an awful lot of cinemas and ex-cinemas. Still got some momento's.

get in touch with tsavo

Mrs Miniver at a cinema on the Middlewwood road at Malin Bridge about 1944

West side story when I was about 5. My older sister took me. Think its only because she wanted to see the film herself. Years later I have the DVD and know all the songs. Lol

Paul Muni in the Good Earth, when I was very, very young.

I dont know which cinema it was, but my dad took me to see Snow White and the 7 Dwarfs. I loved it, but me dad fell asleep!:hihi:

Star Wars- 1977, The Gaumont, Barkers Pool.

We had to queue for hours in the rain and there was a film about off road biking on before the woman came with her tray of ice cream.

Those were the days! :thumbsup:

I also remember going to see Alice in Wonderland and Candleshoe at the Classic. A classy joint! One of those places where when you rang up to ask the time the film started, they would reply- "What time can you get here?":hihi:

hiya my earliest film was i think( sunvalley serenade) sonja henie, at the hippodrome,or the( four feathers) lesley banks,at the manor,or one of the films eg boston blackie(chester morris) ,charlie chan,or bowery boys, or roy rodgers,or durango kid(charles starret)at the weston, never understood why there were no gene autrey films at the bughut only saw them at the scala. or the diamond horseshoe (betty grable)at the palace union street,as you may gather i started going to the pictures at an early age the time when there were no tv and very few wireless's in the early fourties.the last one was the adams family with two of my grand-children, we still laugh about it my grandson told me to stop snoring i was nodding off after 10 minutes

Edited by willybite

Also Bedknobs and Broomsticks! And I could watch it again today!!!! Though if it was released in 1971 I must have seen it on a re-release as I was still in nappies then!!!!

And have just realised this is the reason for my lifelong desire to have a cast iron bedstead! Saw the film about 1976 and only got one two months ago!!!! Only took 26 years. Hope it doesnt take me as long to get everything else I want in life

:lol:

A part from the Saturday mattanee's at the Roscoe & the Star,

I think after we queuing right down the street with our mom & dad to see Rock around the Clock at the Upperthorpe Cinema (I think was the name) next door or below was the Upperthorpe swimming baths (just up the road from the Royal Infirmary hospital)

It must have been at either the Regal or Darnal Cinema on a Saturday, maybe Cisco Kid or that awful Woody Woodpecker. Does anyone remember a serial called Nioca (no idea of the spelling) the jungle girl, none of my friends can remember it.

i remember this serial i posted this on an earlier post it was in the 1940s at the star cinema, i think the name was nyoka the jungle girl, another was brick bradford, and tarzan, of course superman ,this was at crookes palace. at the little dick as my aunts called the darnal cinema they had the durango kid charles starrett, my nan lived ont manor

i know it was not the cinema but i remember queueing at the empire theatre when i was a lad just after wwii, and seeing a bloke selling a paper called billy's weekly liar do's anyone else remember it.

Edited by willybite

Escape to Victory at the Gaumont, won a competition in the Star, got told off by my mum as i lay in the aisle to watch as that was how i watched tv at home...

still love that film!