First Film you saw at the Cinema in Sheffield

Who can remember what the film was the first time you went to the "Pictures"....how come we never went to the Cinema ?

For me it was Disney's 'Song of the South' and I think I was seven so it would be 1947 at the Abbeydale.

My Gran also took me and my sister to see 'The Red Shoes' with Margot Fontayne at the Gaumont in Barkers Pool. Can anyone remember what year that was showing ?

GB

The Exorcist at a local working mens club, I was about 16 at the time. That film scared me to death and even to this day I will not watch it again:o

Not exactly the pictures but I remember it like it was yesterday, one guy actually fainted and had to be carried out.

Guest rosie

MY first film was Sound of Music when I was 5, I loved the film, in fact still do.

Bedknobs and Broomsticks at the Gaumont on Barkers Pool. The queue went all around the building and back onto the main street.

Can't remember how old I was but I think it was in the early 70s

Originally posted by upholder

The Exorcist at a local working mens club, I was about 16 at the time. That film scared me to death and even to this day I will not watch it again:o

After seeing that Disney film I had bad dreams about being chased by a bull. A young lad in the film gets gored by a bull.

Even today if I'm crossing a field with cows in it I do a double check to see they've got the right dangly bits :)

We passed a field the other day over towards Bradfield with a couple of alpacas in it - not sure if they're friend or foe :?

GB

Originally posted by Funke88

Bedknobs and Broomsticks at the Gaumont on Barkers Pool. The queue went all around the building and back onto the main street.

Can't remember how old I was but I think it was in the early 70s

No way! MY first film at the pics was Bedknobs and Broomsticks at the Gaumont, early 70s too!

A quick web search reveals that it was released in 1971, so there you go. I would have been 3 or 4.

My memory of the occasion is very vague, but I do recall that I was really quite bemused by the whole thing, not really sure what was going on, and I think the ads and the film itself all kind of blended into one. My own lad seems a lot more clued up about things like this, as he's only 3 and a half, and he's been to the cinema and theatre loads of times - and seems to understand what's going on perfectly!

Snow White, great, ...DON'T EAT THAT APPLE.........whoops too late..

Mr Greybeard, I also recall Song of the South and the boy gored by the bull, I was soothed though by Uncle Remus singing There's a Bluebird on my Shoulder......must have been a strong bloke though, I struggled with my bike...!!!

Latest film - Bruce Almighty.

While I'm still awake, a gang of 20 of us lads went to see Tommy then A Bridge Too Far. I remember coming out after A Bridge Too Far and feeling quite proud and quite a hardnut, probably imagining I was at one with the 1st Parachute Regiment. We queued outside the Gaumont. We all went to Stockcars and speedway together. And Studio 7, but that's another story.

In the 50s a lot of the cinemas used to do special programmes for kids on Saturday mornings. Our local was the Colliseum on London road. Mostly Charlie Chaplain and the Three Stooges etc. Flash Gordon was the best laugh - some of the special effects could have been done better by the Blue Peter team with cardboard, glue and poster paint.

Occasionally we'd go the the News Theatre in Fitzallan Square - it was a continous show there and you could sit and watch it all day if you wanted.

GB

bambi at Rex cinema which is now a car park for co-op

I'd watched loads of films at home but the first one I ever saw at the pictures was "Paws" lol!

Originally posted by upholder

Not exactly the pictures but I remember it like it was yesterday, one guy actually fainted and had to be carried out.

I have the full uncut version (wasn't even shown in the cinema) on DVD!

Excellent movie!