What are Pitsmoor and Shirecliffe like?

we have had 2 house offers in these areas we have 2 kiddies although my partner is from sheff i am not and wondered what it is like now my partner hasnt been there for over 5 years so of course some areas that were good are now not. id be grateful for any help as we need to move back down either by exchange or council and hopefully before september

speaking from experience i personally would NOT accept a house in either area especially with children, but thats just my oppinion .maybe it would be best for you to take a drive through both areas and decide for yourself .

good luck :)

don't know about pitsmoor, it doesnt look very nice but I've never lived there so someone else might have a better idea. I've lived at shirecliffe and its ok, depending on what you want. There are plenty of facilities close by, and a short walk into hillsborough. We used to get the noise from the high school (to be expected, not a problem) and the pub on the corner but thats closed down now. There is a newly built park there, and 2 doctors surgerys. most people are friendly enough, and i don't recall any car crime ect (although we had a drive)

pitsmoor has had a bit of a tarnished reputation for yrs .... BUT .... a few yrs ago i was a postman in & around pitsmoor/burngreave for 6 or 7 years ( i do not live there ) .... i made many good friends of all colours , races , creeds , ethnicities ..... a place is what u make it .... if u wanna go there & be "king of the castle" sorta thing , ur gonna attract trouble in that or any area , but if u go to live ur life & be part of the community , then its a great place , i would have no hesitation should a desire to move there arise

there is parkspace galore ... abbeyfield park , pistsmoor adventure playground on melrose rd amongst others, ..... plenty of doctors , schools & places of worship (of all kinds) if or not that is ur kinda thing

a few pubs too

& its well served by busses .... 7/20/20A/47/48/75/76/97/98

My mum lives on Shirecliffe Road and that's fine. Good local amenities. A new infant/junior school is just being built up the road and should be open next year. I must say though the area around Longley avenue west - were the shops are - Fresh Air etc looks a bit run down.

I live in Burngreave and think it's fine. I don't know what sort of house you are being offered or where it is so can't comment on the exact location, I would say that the place has improved immeasurably in the last 10 years so don't believe everything that generally gets written about it. It is a very multicultural area which personally I don't mind but I guess some people can feel a bit intimidated by that. I find the people are friendly and neighbors tent to talk to each other which is a novelty these days! It's close to town, has a good selection of local shops and transport links, it will have a bloody massive Tesco next year and is close to the Northern general for when you get shot ;) (got that one in before some other moron did!)

I was in a discussion with an acting Chief Inspector last night who informed me that on Friday and then a retaliation on Saturday night, two stabbings took place in Pitsmoor this weekend just gone , so do you really want to go there.? I have not heard anything on the local news re these, so it shows us all how much we are not told about the city we live in

I was in a discussion with an acting Chief Inspector last night who informed me that on Friday and then a retaliation on Saturday night, two stabbings took place in Pitsmoor this weekend just gone , so do you really want to go there.? I have not heard anything on the local news re these, so it shows us all how much we are not told about the city we live in

Someone was also stabbed in the town center and I imagine there was a few fights in Hillsborough and other area's. All area's have their share of idiots and to be honest, most of them fight with each other. Having lived in Burngreave for 5 years I have never seen any trouble. I am certainly not saying it's trouble free but I think the people attacking each other are attacking each other and not random strangers. If your the sort of person who looks for trouble you can usually find it where ever you live.

This Sheffield CC website might help you decide between the two. The Sheffield Neigbourhood information system (SNIS) tried to compile info about places to compare them.

Shirecliffe has an entry, but Pitsmoor is covered by burngreave. There are maps of each nieghbourhood and seperate detailed info..

http://www.sheffield.gov.uk/in-your-area/snis

I would say Pitsmoor definately not - some bits of Shirecliffe are OK.. I worked that side of the city for 5 years, and wouldn't choose to live there. Maybe come up for a visit 1st.

Where these 2 stabbings definitely in Pitsmoor as there were 2 stabbings in Wincobank around this time? Although there will be a lot of unreported crime in Sheffield I would be surprised if 2 stabbings in 2 days (in the same area and that the police knew about) were not reported in the Sheffield Star. I am not saying that Pitsmoor is without it's crime problems but 2 stabbings in 2 days would be unusual and certainly newsworthy (locally anyway).

I have posted a similar reply to a similar thread but thought what the hell I'll repeat myself.

I have owned and rented out properties in the heart of Pitsmoor for the last 11 years and in that time none of the properties have been broken into, none of my tenants cars have been damaged. I have visited the area at a variety of days and times and never had a problem.

I'm not saying that the area is without fault but what area is.