The interminable God does/doesn't exist megathread

Would the world be better without religion?  

191 members have voted

1. 1. Would the world be better without religion?

• Yes
    • No
    • I dont know and dont care
    • Show me the results

Now Im not asking if religion is right or if there is a God or anything like that, as they are completely different questions, but do you think that in general, the world would be a better place if there wasnt such a thing as religion?

hhmm- its a fine like- id like to think it would be because of all the wars and likking that goes on in the name of religion but i have a feeling the world might decend into anarchy if it wasn't for it!

It gives a lot of people comfort and a purpose in life.

If you could make everyone who is religious the same religion, one that doesn't have instructions about killing anyone who doesn't agree with you, and make them all stick to it, I think that would be ok.

A lot of wars and persecutions are, have been and will in the future I expect, be conducted in the name of God, Allah or whoever. So in that respect, yes maybe we would be better off without it.

In that respect religion further serves to gives human beings another excuse to divide into groups and dispise one another.

Agree with Nick's sentiments. Religion gives some people comfort through times of difficukty and gives them their faith.

However, God/Allah's name is too use easily when attacking other groups and religions. If the main man is watching he must be shaking his head in disbelief!

People need to learn to respect other religions but not preach about his/her own. In todays society they must also understand that not all of the bible/koran etc meets with todays happenings/needs.

Originally posted by Lee1979

A lot of wars and persecutions are, have been and will in the future I expect, be conducted in the name of God, Allah or whoever. So in that respect, yes maybe we would be better off without it.

In that respect religion further serves to gives human beings another excuse to divide into groups and dispise one another.

People would just use another excuse to butcher their neighbours if we didnt have religion. Its more a problem with humans in general I think.

Originally posted by scottf

because of all the wars and likking that goes on in the name of religion

wars and likking? I though that type of behaviour was frowned upon by most religions ;-)

I suppose religion and believing in the afterlife provides a huge comfort for anyone afraid of death, or for people worried that they have achieved nothing in life and look forward to something better.

I don't think all that much of religion when I turn on the tv and look at the weeks latest war/suicide bomb/genocide etc etc etc etc etc etc etc

Originally posted by nightrider

People would just use another excuse to butcher their neighbours if we didnt have religion. Its more a problem with humans in general I think.

yes. thats what i mean. its even more of an excuse and one that is hard to settle because essentially both sides are right.

I voted no after hovvering over yes for ages.

The world would be a better place without psychopathic megalomaniacs who use religious ferver as an excuse to gain personal wealth & power while being given a platform & protection from uber pc numpties. :loopy:

Religion is a usefull tool to comfort the weak of body, mind & soul.

And churches are nice for wedding photos.