Old dog new name?

Our family has just got a little bigger :D we have a new little doggie, he's a year and a half old and he's settled in really well, its like he always been with us and he's very happy too. I have two other dogs phobie an lovie who he loves.

Every things great but i just wanted to know what your thoughts where on renaming an older dog? I've looked on a few web pages that say alot of people rename rescue dogs and its not a problem, but i couldn't really find anything helpfull. So is it right, wrong, selfish, normal, easy whats your view? I don't really know where i stand on this i just dislike the name and it doesn't suit the doggie. One site said choose a name simlar to the orignal but i can't find any :( . His name is Po Po as in Po the tellytubie ;)

Any thoughts please ?:rolleyes:

I have had two rescue dogs and have changed the name (I think) :rolleyes: as we obviously did not know the original names, one was only four months old and the other we don't really know put her at about 6. Ig your dog is only 18 months old it wouldn't take hime long to get used to another name - try calling the new name when you give a treat and he will soon learn that the word means nice things! Really it is your tone of voice when you say the word that gets a reaction. Our dogs get called by a different version of their names by different memebers of the family and respond to all of them. :hihi:

Sorry zoboz, but didn't you recently sell a boxer puppy that you bought and decided you'd 'taken too much on'? :huh:

Sorry zoboz, but didn't you recently sell a boxer puppy that you bought and decided you'd 'taken too much on'? :huh:

Yes he went to a loving home with to other boxers, i'd spilt up with my partner and i'd move to a larger house but the garden was very tiny with no yard, i have had phobie now for nearly 4 years and she a small terrior cross, i do love boxers me and my partner shared the responsibilitys he was very large and i did what i thought was best for him at that time. I meant i'd takin to much on getting a large breed.

I spend alot of time at my moms and she has small dogs and it wasn't fair on him been alone. Where as my small dogs they don't stay on there own, my moms brings them to her in car with me, i'm at hers now and they are here too! yes its a mad house :D

I think anyone buying or rescuing a dog to think about the needs of breeds and the responsiblitys. Thats why a wanted an older dog rather than a puppy.

So what do you think about changing an older dogs name? :thumbsup:

Ah right, sorry - a misunderstanding!

At 18 months I can't see a problem with changing a dog's name it's just a case of linking new name to old name and then gradually getting rid of old name.

Also, once he's starting to understand his new name - say it and reward whenever he looks at you - also say it each time you put his food down etc like you would a new puppy :D

We have 3 rescue dogs Bella who came with her name, Jack was a rescue and came with no name so we named him but he answers to Jack, Jackie, Jackiebaby etc and Charlie who was originally called Chen. All ours now know their names and changing wasnt a problem.

So what do you think about changing an older dogs name? :thumbsup:

Po po is an awful name. I used to dogsit a German Shepherd called 'Knickers' it was soooo embarassing. You'd take him to the park and it would be all 'Down Knickers, get down knickers'. Fortunately he answered to nicks too in the end.

What about Rolo? The vowel sounds are pretty similar

Po po is an awful name. I used to dogsit a German Shepherd called 'Knickers' it was soooo embarassing. You'd take him to the park and it would be all 'Down Knickers, get down knickers'. Fortunately he answered to nicks too in the end.

:hihi: OMG that has cheered me up no end!!

:hihi:

When we got our first Staffie, I wanted to call him Fluffy. I just fancied being in the park and calling out Fluffy and having a a muscle-bound lump come running towards me!! Unfortunately, my partner wouldn't let me, so he ended up as Punch.

I've just got a rescue dog, don't know what his original name was, he was called Sonny in the kennels, but he's now Zeb and seems happy enough with it, especially since he usually gets a treat when he responds to it!!

Our last german shepherd was about 6 when we got him.

He had been found wandering the streets for weeks and taken to thornberry.

Knowing nothing about him he had no name, just the number 13, but the girl said she called him rebel. The name didn`t suit him so we called him"Sam" after the gsd before him.

Within a week of callin him sam he knew that was his name.

If you call an animal something fort long enough they will respond to it, whatever age they are.

Mt gsd "amber" responds to "bamber gascoine":huh:

and stewie the rabbit likes to be called "Doofuss":loopy: