House prices doom and gloom

Or if enough people stay calm and just adjust they lifestyle slightly it won't be as bad as everyone thinks (or some people want) it to be.

You're living in Cloud Cuckoo Land if you think that, Nick

StarSparkle

You're living in Cloud Cuckoo Land if you think that, Nick

StarSparkle

Perhaps, but trying to have a possitive outlook won't hurt anyone.

To be honest in my area I have noticed house prices have all gone up in the last 6 months, quite alot, meaning if house do crash I wont go into negative equity.. We have been living in our property almost 1 yr and it has risen by around 25%. Thats going on the house prices of neighebours houses for sale, and sold in the last 6 months. Each time a new one comes up for sale the price keeps rising and there still selling.

To be fair though, many people have remortgaged a lot to release the equity in their homes, after being told that house prices are going to rise and rise by the media and they're the ones that are now facing negative equity now.

Perhaps, but trying to have a possitive outlook won't hurt anyone.

No, but having a realistic outlook is perhaps more useful

StarSparkle

No, but having a realistic outlook is perhaps more useful

StarSparkle

Without knowing the ins-and-outs of international finance how can the normal man in the street have a realistic outlook, they either believe what the media tells them, believe what other people tell them, or make their own mind up based on their own experience.

Again if the prices fell lots I really wouldn't be that concerned as I bought my house when I did, I didnt over stretch with my mortgage(£620 p/m ish), and at the end of the day its a long term investment, and a roof over my head its not a money making project. I'd just prefer to be paying what I would be in rent on something that I will own. Just makes sense to me.

Without knowing the ins-and-outs of international finance how can the normal man in the street have a realistic outlook, they either believe what the media tells them, believe what other people tell them, or make their own mind up based on their own experience.

The signs of a huge collapse in the way we've been living, certainly since the 80s and probably even the way we were living before then, are all around you, if you choose to look. It's completely unsustainable. The planet simply cannot go on being abused in the way it has been - resources are being exhausted. The tip of the iceberg is that the oil is running out...

Something has got to give - Something is GOING to give

StarSparkle

I tend to agree. IMO the media are making things appear worse than they really are.

In everything. Crime isn't as bad as they make it appear, the economy isn't that bad, politicians aren't all corrupt, the EU doesn't want to enslave you...

Whilst listening to a financial analyst on the radio predicting that house values will fall by as much as a third the following occured to me.

If my house was worth £300,000 last year and is now only worth £200,000 the £600,000 property that I couldn't afford last year should now value at £400,000 thus saving me £100,000.

IMO the problem is that many people constantly re-mortgaged when their deals came to an end and borrowed more every time their property increased in value to continue living beyond their means. They now find themselves slipping into negative equity with the almost certain prospect of huge mortgage repayment increases when their current deals come to an end.

So folk who didn't continually borrow more and more money against their property can now probably afford their dream home. However those who treated their homes as a piggy bank can now reflect on their past life styles at their leisure.

or just stay put and pay off the morgage nice and early ........... Im counting down to that day :)

I know what you mean about people remorgaging on an annual basis though, friends of mine remorgage EVERY year and buys an old car (but newer than the last) ... and go abroad for a week .... but the morgage payments are pushed back upto 25 years and she doesnt seem to comprehend that shes paying for a car and holiday over 25 years ... along with all the interest :loopy:

Well I just accepted £9k less than the sale price of my property in London- it would have dipped even more and the offer felt good enough now, so hoping to be wrapped up next few weeks.

I do hope to buy here in Sth Yorkshire and will keep a close eye on the market. IMO the housing market will fall further as house prices are still over priced. My brother does analysis on the American market and the Dow Jones- he says whatever happens in the US will likely happen here- so expect some more turbulant times..before it gets better.

But doesnt the house price crash only really effect people who have bought in the last 2 years ..... or about to buy/sell?

The media seem to have almost unlimited power to invent things and make people believe them ! They have invented big increases in fuel charges, big increases in Council Taxes, big increases in petrol and diesel charges, big increases in food prices, a fall in house values in W.Europe and America, increases in unemployment and then they have the cheek, on top of all that, to pretend that pensioners and low wage earners are not feeling the pinch. How can we believe such distortions ? Just, Daily Mail gossip ! Our Leader, Mr. Gordon ' Smiler ' Brown is doing a fantastic job and leading our wonderful nation to the Sunny Uplands.