Potentially dangerous dog running loose in S6

While it's probably possible to be proven, having owned a Poodle I very much doubt you could turn it into a thug dog.

The fact is that "Pitbull" (there's a clue in the name there) types of dog were served a purpose in certain cultures for being fighting dogs - be it for warfare or for "entertainment" in the form of dog fighting. They are a naturally agressive form of dog - just as most form of terriers are - even Westie's, Yorkie's and Scottie's snap and yap at anything in sight. The Pitbull type (Staffie's included) are a more muscular form of terrier and are therefore more appealing to the type of owner that make up probably 80% of the ownership of this type of dog. In that sense, yes, it is the owner. But the breed obviously have a reputation that preceeds them.

Now, our dog, Belle, is a Border Collie - one of them that farmers believe have an innate ability to work herds. It's why they've been used in that capacity throughout history and continue to be so. They also make for fantastic, well trained, very loyal and loving companions as pets - contrary to popular belief that they don't make for good house pets!

Hunting (or gun) dogs like English springer spaniels, Setters and Pointers have a reputation that preceeds them - and they are continually used in that capacity because they seemingly have innate capabilities that can be used in such capacity - they also make for superb family pets.

Labradors and their use as guide dogs...

Alsations as guard dogs....

etc,etc

Can you see a trend? I'm not saying that you'll never find a vicious collie, poodle, setter, spaniel, Alsation, hell even labs or retrievers. The fact is that all of these breeds have temprements and features that offer suitability as pets.

I don't think the same can be said for the Staffie/Pitbull type breeds of terriers - they have a history of violence and being used in warfare, fighting, etc. And people do own them now to look cool - FACT! If that wasn't the case, then when people are deciding to get a dog they would consider either a cross breed or a breed with a less tainted reputation.

fyi yes pitbull types and staffords were bred as fighting dogs but their nature with people is excellant as a dog that attacked people after being in the pit after a fight was swiftly destroyed. you might want to research your breeds throughly before you make comment on them. yes they have the urge to fight with other dogs and be dominant but this must be comtrolled by the owners. the scaremongering and the ppl wanting them to look "cool" are causing the breed a great disservice same happened with rotties but no one wants to say anything until its "their" breed.

be interesting to see what this dog actually looks like as ghe pitbull seems to be played at any attack by dogs

truly sorry for the losses of the cat owners by the way i nearly lost my cat to a grey hound lucky she was on a lead. people need to take resposibility

Just a point, I dont own my dog to ''look cool'', I got her because I fell in love with her as a pup and still love her to bits 10yrs later.

I could have easily had a poodle, labrador etc.

Like in my previous post my dog does not have a nasty bone in its body and trust her 100% around kids and other animals. It gets me angry that because she is a breed that has a reputation people assume that she will be vicous and therefore give disapproving looks if I let her off the lead in the park. She has as much right to run around as any other dog, regarless of what she looks like. :rant:

The reputation that Staffies have are often un earned and it's a terrible shame as many are fantastic dogs.

There only has to be the odd rogue one like the one that hurt the op's cat to bring the whole breed once again into disrepute, and this is the fault of irresponsible owners and not so much the dog.

Many types of dog would harm other animals unfortunately, a dog is a hunter and out loose alone they just revert to doing what comes naturally without the restraints of a human.

And of course if your dog is friendly and sociable why should she not enjoy a run about and play in the park, it's dogs like yours that will help the reputation of the breed :)

While it's probably possible to be proven, having owned a Poodle I very much doubt you could turn it into a thug dog.

The fact is that "Pitbull" (there's a clue in the name there) types of dog were served a purpose in certain cultures for being fighting dogs - be it for warfare or for "entertainment" in the form of dog fighting. They are a naturally agressive form of dog - just as most form of terriers are - even Westie's, Yorkie's and Scottie's snap and yap at anything in sight. The Pitbull type (Staffie's included) are a more muscular form of terrier and are therefore more appealing to the type of owner that make up probably 80% of the ownership of this type of dog. In that sense, yes, it is the owner. But the breed obviously have a reputation that preceeds them.

Now, our dog, Belle, is a Border Collie - one of them that farmers believe have an innate ability to work herds. It's why they've been used in that capacity throughout history and continue to be so. They also make for fantastic, well trained, very loyal and loving companions as pets - contrary to popular belief that they don't make for good house pets!

Hunting (or gun) dogs like English springer spaniels, Setters and Pointers have a reputation that preceeds them - and they are continually used in that capacity because they seemingly have innate capabilities that can be used in such capacity - they also make for superb family pets.

Labradors and their use as guide dogs...

Alsations as guard dogs....

etc,etc

Can you see a trend? I'm not saying that you'll never find a vicious collie, poodle, setter, spaniel, Alsation, hell even labs or retrievers. The fact is that all of these breeds have temprements and features that offer suitability as pets.

I don't think the same can be said for the Staffie/Pitbull type breeds of terriers - they have a history of violence and being used in warfare, fighting, etc. And people do own them now to look cool - FACT! If that wasn't the case, then when people are deciding to get a dog they would consider either a cross breed or a breed with a less tainted reputation.

I have one other thing to say to you - would you like to come and spend some time with my staffie who as we speak is curled up next to the cat from next door and my jack russell????

not true of staffies! staffies are actually very friendly dogs and ideal for families with young kids. they just get a bad rep because they look a bit like a smaller pit bull, which have been bred for fighting and can be a bit unpredictable. because of the likeness and because thye're so cheap a lot of young 'thugs' have staffies which further increases their bad rep

I feel I have to come in here, last night about 7.30 my old cat Daisy was savaged by a pit bull type dog in my driveway in Oakland Road. The outcome is we had to have her put down and yes the cost for emergency Vets is £160. This dog is a honey colour and it is definitely pit bull type. It is not a staffie, I know staffies and they can be great family pets like most dogs. I have to disagree most strongly with the remark that this dog was only doing what comes naturally all dogs do not chase and kill cats. I have always had dogs and cats together at home and not one of my dogs has been aggressive to my cats, but then I have always had border collies and border terriers, not killer dogs like this one. So everyone no matter what your views are on the rights and wrongs of these incidents, we now have a dog roaming our area that has killed 3 cats in 4 days, please don't anyone try to defend this dog, one cat could be an unfortunate incident, two cats and thats worrying, now three cats that is unacceptable. By the way the Sheffield dog warden only works between 9.00 and 5.00 so unfortunately seeing as these incidents are outside his office hours it doesn't look as if he wil be doing anything to help.. the police dont want to know as dogs are the responsibility of the council so it looks like this dog has got carte blanche on our pets.

i live in the area that this dog has been seen and ill keep my eyes peeled for it.

ive also sent a link to this thread to other forummers on my street so that they are aware- pets or not- as this dog could be a risk to all.

i wonder if its worth putting some notices up in the surrounding streets to warn people that if they see it that they shouldnt approach it and should contact the dog warden?

i would hate for anyone or anything else to be hurt (and worse) by this dog.

x

To BJMC

I am so sorry to hear about your cat, I once tried unsuccessfully to obtain the number for dog wardens to report the Akita I mentioned in an earlier post, can you supply the number please

Take Care

To BJMC

I am so sorry to hear about your cat, I once tried unsuccessfully to obtain the number for dog wardens to report the Akita I mentioned in an earlier post, can you supply the number please

Take Care

The number is 203 7410.

I feel for the cat owner but do you think a human killing a dog is any better? Most dogs are what their owners make them, its the owner that needs sorting out. Always assuming you can find them that is.

are you stupid the dog is a danger and the quicker its whacked the better:rant:

richard.lamb I cant agree more, I have always had dogs and cats, and would have defended any animal to the hilt. But my poor old cat, broken back and horrendous internal injuries, I'm sorry this dog just has to go. But hopefully in a more humane way.

richard.lamb I cant agree more, I have always had dogs and cats, and would have defended any animal to the hilt. But my poor old cat, broken back and horrendous internal injuries, I'm sorry this dog just has to go. But hopefully in a more humane way.

Much as I love animals, if this same animal has maimed and killed at least 3 cats in as many days, I tend to agree. But I'm at a loss what to suggest now that the dog wardens are only available in 'office' hours. It's ridiculous- if a dog attacked a human you can be sure the police would be interested, but hey, it's just a cat(s) so leave it to the dog wardens... I hope it is caught quickly and the owners made to pay for their negiligence

I usually love dogs but have just been bitten by my neighbour's Westie. There I was, minding my own business, walking from my car to my front door when it ran at me like a demented little git, jumped and bit me hard at the top of my leg. Thankfully, the crown jewels are safe and I was wearing jeans so it just bruised, but I don't know whether I should report it or not.....what if it had attacked a little kid instead of me.....