ADSL2 - July 2008 Update News

Ok, so it's been a while since I looked into this, but what is the latest news on the block about ADSL2 - I've just checked my telephone number on dslzoneuk and it's suggesting that when my exchange (Mosborough) becomes enabled, I could get 3.0-6.0Mbps - which on the face of it, is pants, but better than I have now...

I'm currently just over 2km from the exchange, I have a "claimed" connection speed of 2944kbps with 51db line and a 12.8 margin, but realistically, I'm getting between 1.5-2.3Mbps. I've done all I can reasonable do to improve things, including having the router attached to the main BT box

My main gripe is whenever I want to stream a video from a news or film site or clips from places like gamespy of new games, the videos are choppy and freeze waiting for data to catch up - it's not the high res stuff, just plain simple low res 320x240 stuff - my ping seems worse now than I can ever recall and on some sites I feel like I'm back on dial up ! I've got a T-Mobile USB Broadband service, could this actaully be the future or are we going to have to suffer painfully slow ADSL for the foreseeable future ?

Any thoughts from the "experts"

I'm 2 miles from the exchange and have and have a noise level @ 39-41db and get around 15meg with Be/o2. Thats on fastpath and its pretty stable. If I want it rock solid I drop my dmt profile to 10-12meg and it stays rock solid with great pings for gaming.

Hope this helps

ADSL2+ has been available on the mosborough exchange for about 2 years: https://www.bethere.co.uk/

Out of interest I went and checked my line on the dslzoneuk website and it says I can't get Be and the maximum speed my line can reach is 2mbps, which is odd as I'm currently synced (on Be) at 2,234/17,769 (up/down).

Hmmm... so whats "Be" like - do they have any hidden agenda on bandwidth caps or limit what you can do ?

I've been with Demon since the mid 90's, I've got my own domains now, so not too worried about changing my main ISP and losing my e-mail address

They are pretty unique in that they have no bandwidth caps/limits or traffic shaping. There's been a few threads on here about them, my only real grumble is their support stinks (it's farmed out to Bulgaria or somewhere).

Be careful changing Internet Service Providers!

If you are already using the ISP's own Local Loop Unbundling (LLU) equipment, then from what I read, the change over usually leaves you without ADSL for around 10 days. Certanly, I could not get "Be" to accept an order for ADSL+. Apparently I would have to terminate my existing contract with Bulldog, wait until my line appeared on the database as a BT line, before placing the order with Be and joining the que for connection to Be's equipment.

Bulldog's a bit different though as they actually install their own lines, I dont think it's that much hassle normally as you just get the MAC code* and your new provider just uses that.

Bulldog's a bit different though as they actually install their own lines, I dont think it's that much hassle normally as you just get the MAC address and your new provider just uses that.

MAC address of what?

Sorry meant as in migration authority code, not address!

I knew that but the letters were stuck in the wrong order in my head, I was sure it wasn't a MAC you needed.

nm ;)

My transition from BT to Be* was seamless I was without internet for about 5 mins, I was well impressed.