Martin Street, Upperthorpe

jenc,... Ive read both books about 3 times now, think they are absolutely brill. never laughed as much. just a shame their wasnt a few more pictures in just to show you what the area looked like back in the late 40's early 50's

I've also read both books, thought they were fantastic:thumbsup:

So honestly written and a great insight into an era I'll never know:)

jenc...just a shame about little Pete Marshall, when he died at the age of 11, thought he was a great character in the book and bloody funny!!!!!!!

My dad and his brother and sister lived on Martin Street back at that time also.

Anyone remember Ronald, Fred and Janet ?

colts ever, sorry not me, abit before my time. im just looking for any old pics of martin street. as i was saying to JENC the two books what Fred pass wrote,brilliant books but no pics of martin street. when you read those books you sort of build up an image on what the street looked like. did your dad brother and sister know Fred pass and his pals?

mick,

As I said in an earlier post, on picture sheffield there are some pics, looking down the ponderosa from when the Martin Street high-rise were newly built, and they hadn't yet demolished all of the old housing in the area, they are brilliant pics.

Picture sheffield photo ID numbers

u01761 is they are sort of looking over the ponderosa, mainly toward fawcett st, but you can see the housing style of the area.

likewise u01762 similar shot, but a little closer.

s06130 is very atmospheric as it looks along MS toward Bromley St, in the 1940s prior to their demolition in the mid fifties.

Fred Pass was a very talented writer, he could eveoke comedy and pathos in equal measure in his writing. As others have commented, he really evoked the sense of the atmosphere of the times.

plain talker, thanks

Hi Mick851, Yes my dad did know Fred Pass, we have read his books and it is fascintaing especially as it gives a real insight as to when my dad was growing up.

He actually told me a story the other day about the time he threw a half house brick and it was either Fred Pass or one of his friends in the book ended up with quite a scar on his skull.

oops.

coltsever

thanks for the reply back

Edited by mick851

Sorry no old photos but wondered if anyone knew my grandma and granddad, Elsie and Jack Thompson who ran a tabacconists/ sweet shop at 16 Martin street. The shop was on the corner with Bond St. Think they must have moved their in the 1920s when my grandad lost his thumb in a factory accident, got the sack and small amoung of compensation which enabled them to buy the shop. My dad, Walter grew up there and went to Crooksmoor school, starting there in 1921.

My grandparents were rehoused to Ironside Walk, Gleedless Valley in the 1950s. My grandma loved it there as she had an indoor toilet and bathroom but granddad was not so keen.

coltsever

thanks for the reply back, in the book one of them sets fire to a post box on martin street,does your dad know who actually did it? fred, dennis, lawrence or pete marshall???

Hi Mick851, I spoke to my dad yesterday and he told me it wasnt Fred he hit. Apparently it was Aistrop. Aistrop being a bit older than my dad had hit him on his way home from school. My dad went home crying and his dad chucked him out again telling him to sort it. Aistrop then hit him once more. So again my dad went home with tears in his eyes. My grandad once more chucked him out of the house. So my dad saw Aistrop coming down an alleyway, my did picked up the nearest thing (half a house brick) and when he got to end of alley, he clocnked him one on the head. Aistrop ran off screaming with his head pouring with blood.

Later on Aistrops mother went round to see my grandad and was going berserk about her young lads head being cut open. My grandad said he would sort it and my dad was in serious trouble.

Grandad never even spoke to my dad about it apart from to say "well done son, thats how you sort it."

Oh the good old days.