Martin Street, Upperthorpe

My mothers family had the shop at the corner of Burlington street and Wentworth street from 1918 until 1921 and then lived at 2 court, house 2 Martin street from 1924 until 1929. This address was changed to 4 court Adelphi street when part of the courts dividing wall was removed to allow access from Adelphi street. The family name was Brindley. Later my uncles family lived at Watery lane.

Round about 1960, I worked at Tenuous Steel Co. I'm sure this was on Martin St. It was only a small factory employing about 10 people. After about 6 months we moved to Habershons at Holmes which is at the far end of Meadow Bank Rd. going towards Rotherham. Am I right in saying that Tenuous was on Martin St.? At lunch-time we often walked to another factories canteen on Upper Allen St. Would this have been too far to make my memory nonsense. Anybody know the distance between these two places? . Martin St to Upper Allen St. Thanks.

Tenuous Steel I think was on Morpeth Street Definitely not Martin Street.

My mothers family had the shop at the corner of Burlington street and Wentworth street from 1918 until 1921 and then lived at 2 court, house 2 Martin street from 1924 until 1929. This address was changed to 4 court Adelphi street when part of the courts dividing wall was removed to allow access from Adelphi street. The family name was Brindley. Later my uncles family lived at Watery lane.

I can give you a little history about the courts I dont know when they reverted back to martin street again but my mate Johny Innocent lived with his family in 1941- 1956 in 1 court House 2 Martin St.

My other mates families lived at 2 Martin st (Tony Hornby) and 4 Martin Street (Brian Hale) There was a lane that went up the side of 2 Martin Street up to the adelphi street courts " Martin st court was back of 2 4 6 8 Martin St You can see the court lane on the photo of martin street above mails.It shows 2 4 6 8 Martin St then Adelphi Street on right Lots of bomb damage in that area My happy hunting grounds as a kid.Theres a photo in the Sheffield Picture Archives of Watery Lane

I know this topic has probably long closed, but if there is anyone out there who can help me find my Gt.Grandfather, William (Walter) Hartley I would be eternally grateful. I have been trying to locate him since I started researching my tree in 2005.

On his marriage certificate dated 1883 it shows his address as Martin Street, the number looks like a 3 written backwards stroke 8, though it could be 4 or 7, and he was by trade a Fenceman. His father was also William Hartley a Cutler.

His wife is shown as Amelia Michie and  prior to marriage lived on Sylvester Street.

Amelia had an illegitimate son Maurice who was born 1881,  and married William Walter 2yrs later. so I am trying establish whether William Walter is my Gt. Grandfather or Gt.Stepfather.

All certificates relating to Maurice state "no father", but he carries the name Maurice Hartley Michie.

They moved to 44, Smithfield and later Maurice and his wife Annie ran the White Hart Pub on Russell St., now known as Kelham Island.

I am aware this is a long shot but I will never give up trying as I cannot get any further with my tree until this is settled.

If William Walter had siblings maybe I can trace them, other than that it will be as I suspected, I have blue blood running through my veins and am part of the Royal Family.

Thanks for reading this.

19 minutes ago, Naughty Nana said:

I know this topic has probably long closed, but if there is anyone out there who can help me find my Gt.Grandfather, William (Walter) Hartley I would be eternally grateful. I have been trying to locate him since I started researching my tree in 2005.

On his marriage certificate dated 1883 it shows his address as Martin Street, the number looks like a 3 written backwards stroke 8, though it could be 4 or 7, and he was by trade a Fenceman. His father was also William Hartley a Cutler.

His wife is shown as Amelia Michie and  prior to marriage lived on Sylvester Street.

Amelia had an illegitimate son Maurice who was born 1881,  and married William Walter 2yrs later. so I am trying establish whether William Walter is my Gt. Grandfather or Gt.Stepfather.

All certificates relating to Maurice state "no father", but he carries the name Maurice Hartley Michie.

They moved to 44, Smithfield and later Maurice and his wife Annie ran the White Hart Pub on Russell St., now known as Kelham Island.

I am aware this is a long shot but I will never give up trying as I cannot get any further with my tree until this is settled.

If William Walter had siblings maybe I can trace them, other than that it will be as I suspected, I have blue blood running through my veins and am part of the Royal Family.

Thanks for reading this.

Family are on Sheffield Indexers burial records,

http://www.sheffieldindexers.com/

On 08/09/2009 at 22:12, Bill Lee said:

I can give you a little history about the courts I dont know when they reverted back to martin street again but my mate Johny Innocent lived with his family in 1941- 1956 in 1 court House 2 Martin St.

My other mates families lived at 2 Martin st (Tony Hornby) and 4 Martin Street (Brian Hale) There was a lane that went up the side of 2 Martin Street up to the adelphi street courts " Martin st court was back of 2 4 6 8 Martin St You can see the court lane on the photo of martin street above mails.It shows 2 4 6 8 Martin St then Adelphi Street on right Lots of bomb damage in that area My happy hunting grounds as a kid.Theres a photo in the Sheffield Picture Archives of Watery Lane

My wife's family loved on Adelphi Street They were called Bourne

my name is Ian White and we lived there from 1949 to  1959 . My extended family lived in Martin street my grandad sold fruit and veg from a shop and also from a horse and cart.

Brian Hale,  once of 4 Martin Street, passed away a couple of months ago.

My cousin's wife's family lived on Martin Street, Gambles.

Brenda Gambles married name was Stevenson. 

18 hours ago, IAN S said:

my name is Ian White and we lived there from 1949 to  1959 . My extended family lived in Martin street my grandad sold fruit and veg from a shop and also from a horse and cart.

I remember a Graham White when I lived on Mitchell st

On 23/07/2008 at 23:43, deecee said:

mick851,

I have the photo of Crookesmoor showing the " Tip " Martin Street, Wentworth Street,and Bromley Street . The photo was taken after the war , I would hazard a guess at early 1950 ish , the reason being that all of Martin Street is standing right up to the "Tip " , the Crookesmoor school annexe's are there and the railings are gone from the side of the footpath on Bromley Street . These were taken down for scrap for the war effort and never got put back. Also if you can zoom in to the photo you will see that the gate post on the left is minus it's fancy topper and this is on the ground were it landed after being pulled off by one of the wire tethers on a barage balloon during the war. I delivered newspapers on Martin Street until 1959 , a lot of my school pals ( Crookesmoor)lived there . I lived on Bromley Street just behind the shop in the photo , and across the street when I got married until we were rehoused in 1967. Asaw mentions Catherine Idle , she lived on Bromley Street just below us at number 97 .

Here is the link to the photo , hope it's ok for you

deecee

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y2/crookesmoorlad/crookesrec.jpg

Catherine Idell married name goes under Katie Rhodes

Edited by desy

On 06/02/2021 at 20:03, IAN S said:

I remember the Whites fruit and veg cart well as I was paid 3 pence (old money) to follow it with a bucket and small coal shovel to collect horse droppings for our neighbour to put on his roses 🤢

On 06/02/2021 at 21:39, Runningman said:

Brian Hale,  once of 4 Martin Street, passed away a couple of months ago.

My cousin's wife's family lived on Martin Street, Gambles.

Brenda Gambles married name was Stevenson. 

My brother had a mate called Barry Gambles 

His father had a fish and chip shop on the corner of Wentworth street and Hammond street if memory serves. We used to swop old newspapers for a bag of chips there.  

Graham White was my cousin, his dad my uncle had the fruit and veg shop and his dad had it before him.Most of my family lived in the street.The Ogdens the Gaults  the Lomax's.and the Whites we lived in Martin Lane.