Martin Street, Upperthorpe

coltsever, thanks for that piece of history of martin street. know what you mean about the good old days

The picture was taken from just up the road on the Opposite side to where Phili club id. My wife was about 3 at the time in the 50's when her family moved from Martin Street they were the Ibbotsons.

On the side of the road near the top between the 2 shops I went to Crookesmoor with a girl that live there she was called Cathrine Idell.

has anybody got any old photos of martin street Sheffield in the early 1950s, or if theirs any books that has some in?

mick851,

I have the photo of Crookesmoor showing the " Tip " Martin Street, Wentworth Street,and Bromley Street . The photo was taken after the war , I would hazard a guess at early 1950 ish , the reason being that all of Martin Street is standing right up to the "Tip " , the Crookesmoor school annexe's are there and the railings are gone from the side of the footpath on Bromley Street . These were taken down for scrap for the war effort and never got put back. Also if you can zoom in to the photo you will see that the gate post on the left is minus it's fancy topper and this is on the ground were it landed after being pulled off by one of the wire tethers on a barage balloon during the war. I delivered newspapers on Martin Street until 1959 , a lot of my school pals ( Crookesmoor)lived there . I lived on Bromley Street just behind the shop in the photo , and across the street when I got married until we were rehoused in 1967. Asaw mentions Catherine Idle , she lived on Bromley Street just below us at number 97 .

Here is the link to the photo , hope it's ok for you

deecee

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y2/crookesmoorlad/crookesrec.jpg

deecee, yes thanks a very interesting photo, cant seem to find many photos of martin street at all. looked in loads of books and on Internet, so far yours is the 5th pic Ive seen

You have the wrong Number I was born in Martin St at number 18 in 1941at the bottom end near the Hospital. the shop it was in the 160's at the top end of martin st near the tip. I remember the 6 shops in the Street Pub called the Adelphi at the corner of adelphi Street (approx No 13) Chip Shop and Whites greenGrocery Shop both sides of Whites entry where the horse and cart were kept halfway between Adelphi Street and burlington Street (Aprox Numbers 37 & 39 ). Two Shops were at the opposite corners of Burlington Street and Martin Street on the Evens side Right hand side looking up from hospital (Royal Infirmary). First one called Wilsons Both Off Liscence. Your Grandparents Cig shop same side on corner of bond street used to pass it on way to Tip & Park. Can remember it I think called Thommo's dont know if it was still open in the late 1940's . My mother was born at 193 Martin St and My Father At 36. My mothers parents died before I was born so I dont remember much about the top end of Martin st but i,m sure she called it thommo,s. My other went to Crookesmoor Starting there in 1921 and most of my Dads friends did too.

Look in the Sheffield Photo Archives for the Streets.

Look at Bond St as Martin St shows bottom end only

The

Sorry no old photos but wondered if anyone knew my grandma and granddad, Elsie and Jack Thompson who ran a tabacconists/ sweet shop at 16 Martin street. The shop was on the corner with Bond St. Think they must have moved their in the 1920s when my grandad lost his thumb in a factory accident, got the sack and small amoung of compensation which enabled them to buy the shop. My dad, Walter grew up there and went to Crooksmoor school, starting there in 1921.

My grandparents were rehoused to Ironside Walk, Gleedless Valley in the 1950s. My grandma loved it there as she had an indoor toilet and bathroom but granddad was not so keen.

jenc, fred moved from martin street in 1952, martin street was pulled down in 1956

Wrong Martin Street was NOT pulled down in 1956 . I lived at no 18 and the development of the Street started acoss the street from us with the pulling down of the adelphi pub in 1955 because I lost my mate Tony Martin when they moved his father was the landlord. A lot of Martin Street was still up whn we moved in 1959.

Bloody Hell its a small world ask if your wive or her family remember the Kennys at No 14 the Mills at No 16 or the Lees at No 18. My brothers were friends with her brothers

Round about 1960, I worked at Tenuous Steel Co. I'm sure this was on Martin St. It was only a small factory employing about 10 people. After about 6 months we moved to Habershons at Holmes which is at the far end of Meadow Bank Rd. going towards Rotherham. Am I right in saying that Tenuous was on Martin St.? At lunch-time we often walked to another factories canteen on Upper Allen St. Would this have been too far to make my memory nonsense. Anybody know the distance between these two places? . Martin St to Upper Allen St. Thanks.

Edited by JOGI

Round about 1960, I worked at Tenuous Steel Co. I'm sure this was on Martin St. It was only a small factory employing about 10 people. After about 6 months we moved to Habershons at Holmes which is at the far end of Meadow Bank Rd. going towards Rotherham. Am I right in saying that Tenuous was on Martin St.? At lunch-time we often walked to another factories canteen on Upper Allen St. Would this have been too far to make my memory nonsense. Anybody know the distance between these two places? . Martin St to Upper Allen St. Thanks.

Distance between Martin St & Upper Allen St at the shortest point would

have been about a third of a mile, like walking from the old town hall

(Waingate) to the Wicker Arches.

You would then need to add on the distance up or down either of the streets.

m&p

Thanks very much for the info. As I remember we weren't very far up Martin St. and walked across Netherthorpe Rd and Meadow st. seems to ring a bell. I dont know how we managed to get to the canteen, plus the 2 walks in the short allotted time, but I can only guess that the boss was easy-going, particularly as he was eager not to lose any of the blokes before the relocation to Holmes. Looking back, I reckon that this fella was the best I ever worked for, but we all got redundant when the Hatchet-men moved in, 6 years later and he suffered the worst.

Edited by JOGI

I have a map of the Sheffield Parishes of approx 1870's which shows St Philips Parish. The district around watery Lane Adelphi St and Wentworth St as Port Mahon and Martin Street was called King St and there was no Martin Lane. Martin Lane used to run parallel to Martin St From Adelphi St top to Burlington St also parallel to Oxford St

Thanks Bill for your info, and time looking on your map. Another memory I have is of 75 years ago. I used to visit my Aunt ( Gerty Mason) on Wollen St. Precious memories. Her house was pulled down to make way for the Kelvin flats, where she finished her days. My cousins are John,Dorothy, Edna, Diane. Thanks. John.

Edited by JOGI