Martin Street, Upperthorpe

has anybody got any old photos of martin street Sheffield in the early 1950s, or if theirs any books that has some in?

Edited by nikki-red

picture sheffield has some snaps of Martin St around the time of the house-clearances, with splendid views down the Ponderosa,

I'm sure the Fred Pass, "Weer's Me... dad/mam" books have photos of the area as he was from that area.

plain talker,...i've got those books and no pictures of martin street in them

plain talker,...i've got those books and no pictures of martin street in them

Unfortunately, I haven't got the two books in my posession; I have given them to my father as he was from round that area, at that time. (well he was on Fawcett stret near " t' oller")

But I am certain there are two or three family photographs of the Pass family, in the books, one, at least, showing the outside of the house they lived in on Martin Street, Fred being about five or six in the picture. (and I seem to remember part of that specific photo being used on the cover of one of them)

plain talker,... just checked again, the pic you are on about on cover of book, is freds mums family pictured in their yard in whitehouse lane in 1942.

plain talker,... just checked again, the pic you are on about on cover of book, is freds mums family pictured in their yard in whitehouse lane in 1942.

Correct mick851, it's on Whitehouse Lane; there aren't any pictures of Martin Street in the book (either of them if I remember correctly) :)

There is a picture of Fred with a friend at 14 years old stood in a yard maybe (Weerz Me Mam?), but if anywhere that would be at Boyland Place because I'm sure they'd moved from Martin Street by then.

That's fair enough, I'm prepared to hold my hands up, and stand corrected on that one. Apologies. ( I didn't have the book to hand, but I remembered the pics, put two and two together and got five in this case)

jenc, fred moved from martin street in 1952, martin street was pulled down in 1956

jenc, fred moved from martin street in 1952, martin street was pulled down in 1956

Cheers mick; didn't have the book at hand to check at the time.

jenc,... Ive read both books about 3 times now, think they are absolutely brill. never laughed as much. just a shame their wasnt a few more pictures in just to show you what the area looked like back in the late 40's early 50's