Lunatic on M1 this morning

It all depends where you're coming off. Don't be in the outside lane too early.

If people rushing by you are speeding - let them. It's not your responsibility to police the Parkway.

Its hard to find the balance, if i stay in left lane then when i try to move and loads of cars all speeding not letting me in then im in other lane and there all up my bum lol

It is because of the lowest common denominator that we need limits setting and enforcing, otherwise they would be treating all roads as rally tracks.

Yes, drivers can make their own judgments, but personally I think there are plenty of drivers (lowest common denominator) who I wouldn't want to be making their own judgments when it comes to appropriate speed.

For that reason we need limits.

For the same reason, we need them enforcing.

That will (slightly) inconvenience some drivers who do genuinely know what they're doing, but they are very much in the minority. Those that think they are in that group IMHO put themselves in that group because they have been driving for a long time, whereas I suspect it's just as likely they get blase about driving and as such are actually more dangerous.

*tries to resist returning to thread that is going to go round and round in circles about speed again*

I take it you've never driven in Germany then? Many stretches of the Autobahn have no speed limit yet shock horror there aren't millions of accidents.

The limits there are far more sensible, around busy junctions there are 80kph (50ish MPH) limits, some are 100kph, some 130, some 'advisory' 130kph and some no limit.

Some friends and I did 2000 miles around Germany during the 2006 World Cup, in all those miles we saw 2 accidents, both were HGV's so neither were anything to do with speed. We did 100mph+ (up to 130mph which was as fast as the hire car would go!) many times and had hundreds of cars overtake us. Strangely none of them looked like maniacs, they were simply getting to where they wanted to go quickly and safely.

The UK 70 limit is ancient and outdated, modern cars are far safer and in the right conditions there's no danger in driving much quicker than that.

This particular one is a Saab 9-5 Aero although I've done it in lots of other stuff but something with a bit of power is more efficient at a higher speed than a little engine that is screaming it's head off. Because I do exactly the same 86 mile round trip each day I amuse myself by trying different ways of driving so I've done it very slowly and very quickly and everything in between. I've also tried it with different tyre pressures and high pressure is more economical but less comfortable.

Interestingly, as ammunition for anti speed brigade is that the average speed on computer is very similar no matter what I do.

Try driving at 56 mph as cars are usualy designed for that speed/economy

Going slightly off topic, if i am travelling down sheffield parkway in right lane doing 50 and someone is behind do i have to swap lanes to let them past?

I can possibly think of occasions when not to (for instance, why are you in the right-hand lane?) but, generally, yes, move across if safe - don't be a policeman or teacher.

Its hard to find the balance, if i stay in left lane then when i try to move and loads of cars all speeding not letting me in then im in other lane and there all up my bum lol

I drive up and down the M1 from Newcastle to London regularly and one of the worst driving bad habits is the middle lane hogger. I always move into the inside lane unless I am OVERTAKING. Good drivers always let you out but some people are so scared of not being let out that sometimes on the A1/A1M where it is 2 lanes I end up undertaking a line of 10 cars because they are all too scared they'll get stuck in the inside lane. This sort of driving cause traffic jams and delays. If everyone follows the highway code about only being in an outside lane when they are overtaking then we'd all get there quicker. If you are a good and considerate driver then you watch the traffic conditions and flash people out when you see they need to overtake, the selfish drivers who don't usually are the sort of driver who weaves in and out of traffic or tailgates drivers when they are obviously driving slowly due to the traffic in front.

I take it you've never driven in Germany then? Many stretches of the Autobahn have no speed limit yet shock horror there aren't millions of accidents.

The UK 70 limit is ancient and outdated, modern cars are far safer and in the right conditions there's no danger in driving much quicker than that.

have to take exception with these two elements:

(1) You are wrong - the German authorities are, in fact, thinking of imposing limits on all of the +/- 40% of unlimited M-ways BECAUSE of their poor stats on M-ways compared to their EU neighbours (that INCLUDES us.)

It is also a move to improve their green credentials (the Green Party in Germany holds the balance of power, effectively.)

In the UK, we are in the top four in Europe as regards lowest number of KSI's (killed and serious injuries) per 100,000 of population. The Germans are not in this top four and will have a long way to go to keep the motor lobby happy with it (I imagine Porsche, BMW and Audi are not too pleased by the proposed change.)

(2) Our cars are more powerful, we experience speed far less than we did and the technology in the vehicle is quite impressive.

The driver, however, is no more able, alert or skilled and cannot respond any quicker than 50 years ago and consistently louses up. The vehicle's technology, per se, can add to the driver's feeling of invincibility and often has negative effects on the driver's performance - for "cruise control" read "autopilot".

Bosch's explanatory video on supa-dupa ESP is nicely rounded off with the words, "but ESP cannot defeat the laws of physics" i.e. the technology can be overcome by the driver's stupidity and excessive speed.

You may think that your car may be able to "stop on a sixpence" @ mega mph and you conclude "it's perfectly safe to drive at x mph" but what use is that if the car behind you can't stop on a sixpence?

With 100mph counting as "slow" for Porsches on German Autobahns, I assume you were thinking of advocating such a speed?

I have on video of car braking tests that might be of interest to you:

Two identical cars are driven down a high-grip road surface (dry, flat, straight, no camber i.e ideal conditions) at 70 mph and 100mph are braked hard with full ABS braking to a full stop.

the 70mph car stops sooner than the 100mph car, clearly.

What speed will 100mph car be moving at when 70mph car has stopped (i.e what is the potential difference in impact speed?)

Unless you know the answer to this, maybe you and others shouldn't consider or advocate driving a car at this higher speed just because the car can handle it, should you?

The answer lies in the laws of physics not in any anti-speed, finger-wagging propaganda, I assure you.

I've just watched 'Police Camera Action', featuring a reporter driving down 'Britain's Most Dangerous Roads' while turning to interview his passenger and taking his hands off the controls to wave his arms around to demonstrate points.

???????

So did anyone actually see the 'lunatic on the M1 this morning' ?????

:huh:

Isn't that because:

1) Germans are far more sensible

2) Your insurance is invalid if the crash is found to be your fault?

So you'd be liable for repairs to your car, any other cars you prang, any personal injuries they suffer and any damage to the road or crash barriers.

Shame you never saw me on my fireblade heading up M1 This morning

that would of made you think of this focus driver differently

Why?? A bad driver is a bad driver, whether in cars or on bikes!! If you’d had met the focus driver he probably have took you out, he had a totally disregard for other road users.

Are you claiming that your car uses _less_ petrol to drive one mile at 30 mile an hour than it does to drive one mile at 80 miles per hour?

No.

Think about it...

The M1 is full of lunatics

Yesterday morning (30th) the traffic on J34 sliproad North was really heavy and its full of idiots who cant wait for a few mins but go down the right hand lane then cut cars up on the roundabout. As I got through the lights I was following a silver SEAT who wouldnt let someone in who was trying to get across (not indicating either). If you are reading this Mr SEAT Driver, good on ya!!. I was behind and didnt let him in either and he then proceeded to give me some verbal abuse and hand gestures. Even though I was in the correct lane.

No doubt someone will call me an idiot for doing that but to be honest I dont care, I queued like most people and im not going to let someone in who cant wait. If it was you that tried forcing your way in, I suggest you get a Highway Code, or even better, get off the road altogether