Any Ashmores out there?

I know this is a long shot but for years and years I have been trying to trace my Grandfathers side of the family and just hitting a brick wall. I'm not holding out much hope but it's worth a try :)

My Grandfather Charles Thomas Ashmore born 8th July 1916 - 1970 was born in Glossop or Tintwistle, Derbyshire. He married Winifred Wilson in 1938 and lived in Bamford. He served in the Sherwood Foresters in WW2. His Father (Name unknown) was believed killed in action in WW1, but had infact been seriously injured resulting in him losing his memory and returned after the war to find his wife had re-married. Charles Mother was Lillian, she married George (Jud) Bower of Elmin Pitts Farm, Hope Woodlands, Ashopton. Charles had 2 half brothers - Sidney and Aldene Bower (who was killed on the Hathersage road) and a half sister- Sadie Bower. My Grandfather worked as a lorry driver for Earls (Blue Circle in Hope). I am led to believe my Grandfather took his mothers maiden name (Ashmore) She was supposed to be from a well to do family in London. After Elmin Pitts Farm was demolished to build the Derwent Reservoir Lilly and George moved to Hope before heading back to Glossop

Any information would be gladly appreciated.

Thanks

In general, finding ancestors is easier than finding descendants, and so it might be hard to find cousins etc. on your grandfather's side of the family. His birth certificate should give you his father's name (unless he was illegitimate) and then you might be able to trace your great-grandfather's war service and/or pension via the findmypast.com website. Looking at the relevant index (July-December 1916) the only likely entry is a Charles T. Ashmore who was born in the Wortley district. The relevant details for this are Volume 9c Page 632. The index confirms that Lilian Ashmore married George Bower in the second quarter of 1918.