Sheffield Festival of Transport

Yes I admit it I am a thrifty penny pinching type. I suppose my main peeve was more the fact that without warning a good free show suddenly became a pay on entry event and I've never rreally heard of any sensible reason why.

owt involving sheffield city council sucks

I was in Margate a couple of weeks ago....Thanet Council put on an AIRSHOW

.....and the best part of it.....it's FREE.

I don't go to these park things here because they charge to get in, they charge the stall holders, they charge the entertainment. That's greedy :|

so you enjoyed it when it was free but wont go now its a 5er basically your saying your a tightwad :rolleyes:

I`m a tightwad aswell:D

I live liteally a couple of minutes from graves park, have been in the past when it was free but wouldn`t pay £5 to get in.

Someone said that included parking but I wouldn`t need to park anyway.

I am tight to, i pay enough in my council tax and see nothing happening in sheffield with the money, so they can shove it if they think im paying to get in to a event.

You'd think the organisers (Sheffield Council :?:) would "get it" wouldn't you.....but they don't.

If they make it a free event and charge the stallholders more rent then OK the price of what is on the stall would be dearer but it would then be our choice if we bought from the stallholders.

The Big Event in Margate was free.....however the stalls were charging top whack for the food and goodies - Burger, chips and a bottle of water (or pop) = £7.00....and there were plenty of people paying those prices.

For an event to be successful you need to get the public in - charging to get in just puts people off which in the long run means less profit all round. :D

I am tight to, i pay enough in my council tax and see nothing happening in sheffield witht he money, so they can shove it if they think im paying to get in to a event.

As what is called here an outsider I noticed this years back....that very little is done to PROMOTE Sheffield.....and I have written to the council about it many times.

On large events there are big screens put in cities (L**ds for one :|). There are massive open air concerts put on in other cities (L**ds for one :|). There are all sorts of carnival type events put on in other cities (L**ds for one :|). And what does Sheffield do.....nothing. Nothing for free.

We have the World Snooker - but how expensive is it to go to that.

Its about time that Sheffield saw its population as less of a way of making a profit and more of a way of celebrating what Sheffield is....and what it has to offer.

Brilliant opportunities have been passed up to bring the big community of Sheffield together - including those from differing ethnicities, cultural backgrounds and sexualities. Why isn't there a Mela here.....it would be fabulous.....free to get in and you could then choose to pay for the food and souvenirs.

For the first time this year there was a Sheffield Pride....were there floats through the streets as there are at other Pride meetings....NO. It was tucked away in a small park that wasn't easily accessible by public transport. Oh yes Sheffield....there is a gay community here.....get with the programme and get used to it :)

Back in 1996 we were co-hosts of the Euro Football.....visitors coming from countries all over Europe to watch their teams play. A perfect time to lay on something special at the top end of Hillsborough Park to showcase Sheffield.....but we didn't.

The only thing we have in the City Centre is the Sheffield Beach - which is fabulous.....but could be better.....and just look at how well it is attended.....loads of little people digging in sand and making sand castles.....running - screaming with laughter - through the fountains. This is one weekend where there is a feel good factor.

Just look at how bustling the City Centre is when there is a Continental Market....we don't always buy stuff but it's something different. It brings people into the Centre of Sheffield - why not have a summer one that goes on for a week, combine it with street entertainment, and events in a marquee on Tudor Square and things at the Peace Gardens.....wouldn't that be absolutely fabulous.

We have the Peace Gardens which is fabulous but as a facility its well underused.....there could be more big screen events....with stalls. We aren't even in the loop when it comes to national television.....Children in Need always features L**ds but there is never studio or outside coverage in Sheffield.

And what sort of city is this where on two occasions.....New Years Eve and Bonfire Night does its residents HAVE to pay if they want to go into the Centre of the City. Shameful :| The Centre is cordoned off and the Council charges us to celebrate.....which is why I will never visit the City Centre on those occasions. Its a disgrace :|

And it would make the people of Sheffield who pay council tax and feel they get very little in return at least think they have got something good from what they pay in.

I think Sheffield needs more of that feel good factor.....and to understand that by putting on events is not so much about the profit.....its about showcasing (and upstaging L**ds who seem to have sussed it :hihi:).

And all this passion from an outsider who loves and cares about Sheffield but think it has been seriously undervalued by those in control :D

i was peeved about highland fling charging to gain entry and the queue's to get in, so i'm certainly not returning to graves park for this event and having the same fiasco YET AGAIN. Its always a farce. If you look on the sheffield city council web site the majority/ if not all the events at Norfolk Park and Millhouses park are FREE.

there is a free car show in the city center think its in 2 weeks :confused:

Sheffield Festival of Transport!!!! thats so funny,

what have they done, put load on traffic lights in a field, All on RED and a few traffic wardens,

thats all sheffield council have done for transport here