Can you transfer a nursery place mid year?

I've made enquiries at schools and nurseries locally, ready for when the twingles turn 3 later this year. AFAIK they should have a nursery place from January, which will be the first term after their 3rd birthdays.

The place I currently want them to go has no places for January and cannot guarantee anything for Easter. There appear to be two other nurseries local ish, though I haven't made enquiries as to spaces yet.

The thing which bothers me is the continuity, the nursery I want them in has the infant and junior school attached, so they would have complete continuity until secondary school.

If we took a place elsewhere until Easter, or until whenever the preferable nursery can offer places, can we transfer? Or are you meant to stay until the year end or school begins?

How did the government screw this one up despite all promises?

You can do what you like! Who is going to stop you from shifting nursery? What happens to folk who move house?!

p.s How has the government screwed what up?

A guaranteed free place in your local area from the term after your childs 3rd birthday.

As far as I am aware, you can only swap nursery at the end of the term, as the funding they get goes from term to term, so if you were to swap in October for example, the new nursery wouldn't be able to access the funding until Jan, cos it would already have been allocated to the old nursery until the end of the term, if that makes sense?!

That would be fine, it would mean I could put them in one nursery from Jan to Easter and then into the one I want them in from Easter.

I could wait but I think the girls would benefit from going ASAP, though only for short bursts.

A guaranteed free place in your local area from the term after your childs 3rd birthday.

Do you only have a place available out of your area - or just not in the nursery you prefer.

It is possible to switch mid term as nurseries have to send a headcount (twice during a term) in and can state that the child left or started during the term. It then means that the funding will be amended accordingly at the end of the term, so either taken back by the council or more given.

For the nursery it means that they may have a place that they cannot fill for just a half term etc.

If you state the time you want your children there for it shouldn't be a problem as then they can plan their spaces.

you can change them when u want hun, hannah is going to a private nursery in sept but the school nursery will keep offering me a place every term incase i want to take it uo so she could swap any time i want her too

Do you only have a place available out of your area - or just not in the nursery you prefer.

I haven't checked them all out yet but the obvious one, most local to us and attached to the school they will msot likely go to, are claiming they are full but might be able to have a place available at Easter.

It had better be two places, there is no way this government will have me chasing about with twins in two different nurseries.