Kc Reg and Papers!

Hello everyone, please help me.

The following questions may sound slightly dumb but I am confused.

I have been looking into getting a puppy, I am wanting a Toy or Miniature Poodle.

I want a full pedigree with papers and we are willing to pay the extra money to know our puppy has been bread well and is from a good background.

The Problem im having is this.....

Whilst searching for a new puppy I have come across lots of adverts which say 'full pedigree but not KC Reg'.

Allthough we would not even consider buying one of these can a puppy have pedigree papers (to be able to advrtise as full pedigree) and not be KC Reg?

If an advert says the pups are KC Reg'd does that automatically mean the puppies will come with pedigree papers?

Im slightly confused at the moment.

If anyone could explain this to me I would be very greatful.

If we do go ahead with getting a puppy I want to know I have got everything!

Thanks

Hello everyone, please help me.

The following questions may sound slightly dumb but I am confused.

I have been looking into getting a puppy, I am wanting a Toy or Miniature Poodle.

I want a full pedigree with papers and we are willing to pay the extra money to know our puppy has been bread well and is from a good background.

The Problem im having is this.....

Whilst searching for a new puppy I have come across lots of adverts which say 'full pedigree but not KC Reg'.

Allthough we would not even consider buying one of these can a puppy have pedigree papers (to be able to advrtise as full pedigree) and not be KC Reg?

If an advert says the pups are KC Reg'd does that automatically mean the puppies will come with pedigree papers?

Im slightly confused at the moment.

If anyone could explain this to me I would be very greatful.

If we do go ahead with getting a puppy I want to know I have got everything!

Thanks

Dogs can only be registered with the Kennel Club if they have full pedigree papers, which the breeder should give to you and you can then transfer the dog over to you on the Kennel Club website.

A dog can be full pedigree and not registered with the Kennel Club (it costs money to register a puppy and, if it's not required for showing or breeding, some owners don't bother with registration). I seem to recall (and it's a long time since I bred puppies) that the new owner could register the puppy, but it's more complicated and time-consuming than if it's done by the breeder. It might be a good idea to check into that on the KC website.

The KC website can also supply a list of registered breeders and has information sheets on how to make sure you find a good pup, and avoid puppy farms.

Just because a puppy is pedigree, it doesn't necessarily mean that it's fit and healthy and well bred. Puppy farmers buy pedigree dogs and bitches, take little or no account of breeding lines and breed the bitches twice a year, which is far too often. This results in puppies with poor breeding and inherent problems because their dams aren't necessarily fit and healthy.

as long as the dog has papers ....... you can register, costs about £50 and only really needed if you want to show or breed your dog

The way I see it, in adverts for dogs 'pedigree no papers' roughly translates as mum and dad were both of the same breed but one or the other didnt have papers (and therefore not KC registered). This means none of the pups are able to be KC registered.

Registering an elligible pup with the KC only costs around £12 so even if the pups are for pet homes only most breeders register pups as this is the only way you can be mostly assured your dog is full pedigree. The vast majority of pedigree no papers puppies are not for genuine reasons. Any breeders who say that they're not registering because they don't want them to be bred from are fibbing because you can put an endoresment on a KC register to stop litters being registered.

addressing the real issue - namely making sure you're getting a good dog from a good breeder...

get yourself off to a good dog show - a championship show - there's one roughly every month somewhere in the country. Lotti knows where to find the calender, or phone pedigree petfoods as they sponsor them ;)

talk to as many breeders as possible and learn as much as you can about the breed. If you've done your homework before you go to the shows and talk to breeders you'll be taken more seriously

expect to get a thorough grilling from any breeder - as they should be interested in knowing you can look after one of their pups for the whole of it's life! You should also carefully find out what policies breeders have for if the worst happens and you can't keep your dog - any respectable breeder has a lifetime returns policy

If a pup is registered as KC reg it will come with a pedigree. Beware of the ones that say pedigree but no kc or the ones that advertise being registered with DL (Dog lovers) register (As I believe this was set up by Mayfield kennels in Manchester (a well known puppy farm - whatever Beverly Callard says) Chances are that the pups registered as pedigree but without KC papers probably have had breeding endorcements places on their KC by the breeder at some time and may not conform to the breed standard set out by the kennel club. If this is the case the breeder may only wish to sell them as pets at a much lower price than they would normally sell to breed or show. Breeders also place endorcements on the pups registeration so they can keep an eye on and have a say to the kind of stud dog or dam the new owners chooses to breed with. It may be best to join a breed club where they send you a news letter and you get to hear about all the shows coming up. Most have a code of ethics they expect their members to abide to which includes testing your dog for any health problems which are associated with your breed. If this is done they will allow you to place puppies on their puppy register so only those breeders who are dedicated to keeping up the standard of the breed get listed. You can no longer register pups yourself even if both parents are KC reg. It has to be done by the breeder of your puppy