Binghams Potted Meat

WE ate Binghams potted meat in the 50s. I'm sure of it! My mother bought it loose from the grocers. It was wrapped in greaseproof paper. We had it in sandwiches with HP sauce and lots of salt!

We had a corner shop when I was a kid, I remember it used to be delivered in a shallow white dish with a layer of hard butter on top to stop it drying out. To serve a piece of greaseproof paper was put on the scale and the required amount weighed out using a spatula mmm.

Mr Pops,

The company you're thinking of on Ecclesall Road was Hartley's Potted Meat.

My Mum worked for them driving a small van delivering to shops around Sheffield and the Peak District for a few years in the '60s. Their products were tasty but I'm not sure what eventually happened to the company.

echo.

Thanks for that :thumbsup:

Binghams potted meat great!! stuff,used to love it for pack up.

Sunday tea in the 50s was not complete without potted meat sandwiches. Affectionately called 'potted dog', Mother would buy it from the grocers. I can't remember what sort of container it came in, but he would scoop out the weight asked for and place it in  greaseproof paper.

If we had visitor, mother pushed the boat out and opened a tin of salmon or crab, but potted meat (with brown sauce) was the favourite!

I buy Binghams tomato potted meat I love it. I was once eating it when my grandson asked me what it was and I told him "potted dog" I can't  get him to try it, I wonder why?

Does anyone know where the name dog came into it?

Potted meat is alive and well and living all over the world, under an assumed name!  - 

Pâté 

Sold in supermarkets in an unlimited number of flavors.

A posh name, but still potted dog!