Why don't men use reusable bags as much as women?

Shops also need to do more. I went into a convenience store last week and bought a single 2-litre bottle of milk. At the checkout the girl went to put it into a carrier bag until I told her I didn't need one. I wouldn't have minded if she'd asked me first whether I wanted a bag, but she just went to put the milk straight into a bag without asking.

Common sense should have dictated that a plastic bottle of milk with an existing handle doesn't need to be transported in a carrier bag.

Did people realise that since the ban on plastic bags in Ireland the overall amount of plastic going into landfills has increased?

That's interesting Cyclone - source please!

Shops also need to do more.

Maybe it's just area dependent? In my local Tesco, Asda, Morrisons and Sainsburys the plastic bags are now under the tills and you have to ask for them. The cashier will try and tempt you to buy a "bag for life" first though.

It's worked on me, I've bought a couple of "bags for life" and keep 'em in the car.

I have noticed men don't seem to use reusable bags as much as women.

Surely men can help save our planet too? I'd like to hear some of the excuses please..

I don't agree with the premise suggested by the thread title, although it's a good opportunity to air all the usual gender clichés :hihi: I never leave on a shopping trip - food, clothing or whatever, without a bag/s of some description, suitable for the purpose, and have done so since long before all the current concern over plastic bags. Just seems sensible to me.

I have noticed men don't seem to use reusable bags as much as women.

Surely men can help save our planet too? I'd like to hear some of the excuses please..

In Sheffield we have reusable bags for Sheffield Children's Hospital, St.Lukes Hospice and F.A.B.L.E which will help generate funds for good causes whilst helping the environment. For example: Sheffield Children's Hospital charibags have raised over £26,000 and saved nearly 4 million single use plastic bags from being used in and around our city.

http://www.chariband.co.uk

Nice to hear Horriblebob is well prepared with his rucksack :thumbsup: but as you can see from the replies there aren't many men rushing to say they'd do the same or would take a reusable bag to the shops.

I am I prooving a point here?:suspect:

Remember 'charibags' are reusable bags with a social conscience! http://www.chariband.co.uk

That's interesting Cyclone - source please!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/main.jhtml?xml=/earth/2007/09/28/eaplastic128.xml

Waste advisors to the Government have today warned against a tax on plastic bags on the basis that it could have a detrimental effect on the environment.

Plastic bag tax 'would increase waste'

Ireland’s levy on plastic bags 'led to five times more plastic being used'

Experts have suggested that a ban or levy on plastic bags would actually lead to much greater volumes of plastic being used because people would need more bin liners and rubbish sacks.

Nice to hear Horriblebob is well prepared with his rucksack :thumbsup: but as you can see from the replies there aren't many men rushing to say they'd do the same or would take a reusable bag to the shops.

I am I prooving a point here?:suspect:

Remember 'charibags' are reusable bags with a social conscience! http://www.chariband.co.uk

Maybe we just don't feel the need to defend ourselves.

I use a hemp bag because we've got two, I still collect enough plastic bags to use in my rubbish bins though.

because us men a cleverererer...... why realise the facts.......

standard plastic carrier bags = free

bags for life made by some exploited african and then shipped over here (carbon footprint) = cost money

and by getting your free carrier bag it means you don't need to buy bin liners!

simple.

a lot of women don't get this!