Heinz pull 'offensive' advert

Slade's first number one was in 1973,
Ooops, should be 1971.

Slade's first number one was in 1973, Goodbye Yellow Brick Road came out in 1973, hardly a lifetime in between. Despite their stage outfits for some of time I wouldn't categorise Elton John and Queen as Glamrock acts, love or hate them there's no disputing the fact that compared with the likes of Mud, Sweet, Gary Glitter etc they were rather more accomplished musicians and their careers seem to have lasted a bit longer too. I'm surprised that anyone admits to still being into Glamrock nowadays.

Incidentally I saw Terry Uttley of Smokie the other day, he wasn't in a glam outfit but has long grey hair and still tours the world.

Got to agree to a point but your obviously not au fait with the Glamrock era Slade were basically a very good rock group who got caught up in the glamrock system,listen to the Slade Alive album it may change your outlook on them ,Sweet were forced by their management to encompass the Glamrock scene .again listen to All strung up and albums after that you may get a shock of what they were capable of.Queen are completeley out of it they didnt have their first hit until well after the demise of glamrock.Elton john was and is a whatever is happening wannabe probably the most over rated rock (sic) act ever.how many true rock acts would live on a record sickly released to cash in on a persons death.As for admitting being into glamrock.you had to there at the time to appreciate the fun it generated,after the Beatles released their concept album,Sgt Peppers, music stagnated into boring psychedelic crap and like punk did 10 years later Glamrock brought the fun back into music.Glamrock got rid of the 7 minute boring singles crap.punk got rid of the Disco rubbish.Music goes through periods of stagnation and Glamrock and Punk were the cures,sadly music has been stagnating for the last 20 odd years,with all the headbanging computer generated crap and it needs something like glam or punk to reviitalise the music industry.Glam was fun..fun..a concept that seems non existent nowadays

Like Bowie they were glam rock at the time, it's just that they had the talent to move on to other things.

Ask Bowie if he were ever Glamrock,Bowie was Bowie and was/is somebody who will never be catergorized...Ziggy wasnt Glam Ziggy was Ziggy an alter ego..a completely different conception.

Slade's first number one was in 1973, Goodbye Yellow Brick Road came out in 1973, hardly a lifetime in between. Despite their stage outfits for some of time I wouldn't categorise Elton John and Queen as Glamrock acts, love or hate them there's no disputing the fact that compared with the likes of Mud, Sweet, Gary Glitter etc they were rather more accomplished musicians and their careers seem to have lasted a bit longer too. I'm surprised that anyone admits to still being into Glamrock nowadays.

Incidentally I saw Terry Uttley of Smokie the other day, he wasn't in a glam outfit but has long grey hair and still tours the world.

quote..Elton John was doing the glam stuff before the others, he didn't jump on any bandwagon, they copied him...unquote

Make your mind up!!

:huh: 'just scraping the charts' his previous two albums both reached number 1 in the US.

I would check your facts before you post..by the way Glam was a totally British phenomenon and nothing to do with the U.S.A...ANYWAY

His 2 previous albums

Tumbleweed connection.....No 5 in the usa...not number 1

17'11.70/Elton John in th usa..live album...no 4 in the usa...not number 1

First USA no 1 album.....Honky Chateau 1972

First uk no 1 album...Dont shoot me Im only the piano player..1973

I would check your facts before you post..by the way Glam was a totally British phenomenon and nothing to do with the U.S.A...ANYWAY

It started in the UK that doesn't mean it was confined there.

His 2 previous albums

Tumbleweed connection.....No 5 in the usa...not number 1

17'11.70/Elton John in th usa..live album...no 4 in the usa...not number 1

First USA no 1 album.....Honky Chateau 1972

First uk no 1 album...Dont shoot me Im only the piano player..1973

If you're going to try and correct people atleast make sure you know what you're talking about the two albums Elton released before Goodbye Yellow Brick Road (October 1973 UK #1 US #1) were Don't Shoot Me I'm Only the Piano Player (Jan 73 UK #1 US #1) and Honky Château (may 72 UK #2 US #1). Tumbleweed Connection (Oct 1970 UK #2 US #4) was 4 albums back.

Just admit it your, claim that 'Elton John up to that time [late 1973] had been considered a prog rock serious musician just scraping the charts' is just about as wrong as it's possible to be.

Up to that point he'd released 6 albums (by which I mean studio albums) all had been in the US top 10, of the 5 released in the UK 4 made the top 10. He was an established multi-platinum artist and was 'just scraping the charts' in the same way that ManU 'just avoided relegation' last season.

So.... back on topic anyone?

Heinz have totally screwed this new product launch with the advert and subsequent pull.

The ad was obviously a metaphor of how Mum's sandwiches can seem like a New York deli's! Only pig ignorant, biased, thick headed, stupid, 2 dimensional numpties could take offense at such a silly joke... oh wait!

You pulled it over THEIR complaints????

Wow. Talk about spineless!

Heinz have totally screwed this new product launch with the advert and subsequent pull.

The ad was obviously a metaphor of how Mum's sandwiches can seem like a New York deli's! Only pig ignorant, biased, thick headed, stupid, 2 dimensional numpties could take offense at such a silly joke... oh wait!

adverts get pulled for various reasons sometimes they pull a add if they had about 20 complaints but i bet heinz are laughing all the way to the bank with all this free publicity

So almost everyone on this thread whether gay or straight is a 'pig ignorant, biased, thick headed, stupid, 2 dimensional numpty'?

Wow. Bet you're popular.

Read the thread, hardly anyone got the metaphor which was why it was pulled. Talk about witless!

As for admitting being into glamrock.you had to there at the time to appreciate the fun it generated,after the Beatles released their concept album,Sgt Peppers, music stagnated into boring psychedelic crap and like punk did 10 years later Glamrock brought the fun back into music.Glamrock got rid of the 7 minute boring singles crap.punk got rid of the Disco rubbish.Music goes through periods of stagnation and Glamrock and Punk were the cures,sadly music has been stagnating for the last 20 odd years,with all the headbanging computer generated crap and it needs something like glam or punk to reviitalise the music industry.Glam was fun..fun..a concept that seems non existent nowadays
I was there as a matter of fact and so I am well aware of the rubbish that came out as glamrock which was a genre of very basic "music" mainly followed by teenage girls. Punk was not 10 years later, as I was there too, punk was in 1977. In those days prog rock bands like Yes, Genesis, Pink Floyd, ELP etc dominated the album charts. How do you categorise Roxy Music btw, who I saw live in 1972?

Mod note:

Not only is this thread going round in circles, many people have missed the original point of the advert completely. It's also deviated massively off topic and includes a little too much bigotry to sit comfortably.

In order to keep threads on track, people need to stick to the original topic question/subject. If they don't, then deletion of posts/removal of thread is inevitable. No-one wants to wade through pages of unrelated nonsense to get to a few meaningful posts.

If anyone has a burning desire to see this thread reinstated, please contact the helpdesk.

Closing.