Regent Court, Bradfield Road

ok then can you recommend 1 please, is some better than others ? thanks, also what sort of income do you need to be on

Originally posted by sbrrakp

ok then can you recommend 1 please, is some better than others ? thanks, also what sort of income do you need to be on

Estate Agents: The best thing is to visit a few, and see what they have for sale. Most of them advertise in the Sheffield Telegraph on a Friday. Each Estate Agent will have different houses for sale which is why most people contact several. If you tell them what you're looking for, they normally put you on a mailing list and let you know when somthing suitable comes up.

Income: As a rule of thumb, you can borrow three times your annual salary. If you're with a partner it's usually somthing like 2.5xjoint salary. Make sure you can afford repayments. You may wish to approach a mortgage lender before going to estate agents, so that you have a realistic budget and an agreement in principle that they will lend to you, if you find a suitable property.

the mailing do you go to the building societys and tell them that you want to go on their mailing list, tell them your criteria and funds and the area and wait till they tell you, i know im asking a lot of questions here but having never bought property i need to know everything before taking the plunge!

When we bought our home a few months ago the first thing we did was see the bank to see how much we could borrow, they then issued us with a certificate to show the estate agents when we made our offer, this shows the estate agents that you do actually have the means to back up your offer. I will p.m you some links to estate agents sites around sheffield and you can browse online... good luck

Originally posted by sbrrakp

the mailing do you go to the building societys and tell them that you want to go on their mailing list, tell them your criteria and funds and the area and wait till they tell you, i know im asking a lot of questions here but having never bought property i need to know everything before taking the plunge!

The best thing to do is buy the Sheffield Telegraph, which most of the agents advertise in. You can look what's on offer and how much house you can get for your money. You might spot one you like, in which case, ring up and ask for more details. If not, call some of the agents, tell them where you want to live, how much money you have and what type of property you'd like. They'll then tell you what is available.

I wouldn't rely on estate agents ringing you when a property comes in that fits your criteria, even if your are on their mailing lists.

I found only one agent that did this for me, even though I was on about 6 mailing lists.

I found the best thing was to check their websits daily. Hard work, but worth it.

theres a property that ive seen and it says cash offers only, whats that mean?

Some properties are cash only because mortgage companies will not lend on them. Therefore you need to have the dosh yourself. These properties are usually in blocks of flats that are above the third floor. I dont know why the mortgage company will not lend on them but I think it is something to do with them ensuring that the property is a good financial risk - ie that if you default on payments, and they re-posses, they can easily sell it.

It is possible that a mortgage provider will lend on it but very doubtful.

I think you will find that Regent Court Flats are now officially in Owlerton not Hillsborough.I have just discovered this after thinking I have been living in Hillsborough for the past 30 years.

A technicality I know.

Thanks to everyone for the advice but I didnt get the regent court flat .... but I did get one in stannigton which I really like!

Thanks!

Question: if you rent a flat on regent court, but later if you wanted to buy the property could you, thanks.:)

Hi there

I would have thought it would be down to Landlord if they wanted to sell it you!

The flats in regent court are all privately owned (as far as Im aware!).

Some points to note regarding Regent Court - I had heard rumours that some of them can be very noisy with the builders next door - they start hammering first thing in a morning - not sure if they have closed now - anyone know?

Think also regarding Regent Court - I think the top floors cant have a mortgage on them - mortgage companies refuse to lend on them - anyone know which floors - is it top 3?

Lou