Regent Court, Bradfield Road

They either want restoring or modernising.If they are going to be left in the state that they are at present then they might as well be demolished.

Hi,

Considering buying a flat in regent court on bradfield road in hillsborough. I rent 5 mins away in lower walkley so I know the area pretty well and have viewed the flat in question but does anyone know what the block is like to live in?

When I went round the people I saw seemed nice and friendly but I supppose I am trying to dig deeper. Any problems with noise/nasty neighbours? Kids causing trouble, organised gangs of squirrels running the rule over the place with an iron hand?

Anyone who has any info, it would be appreciated.

Cheers

I personally think they are very nice flats.. they were run down a few years ago, but the basic shape of them is very 1920's Deco. Very pretty. They certainly aren't rough.

However, you have to be aware of hidden extra's to your mortgage. There is a service charge for your bags of rubbish being cleared from outside your door, for maintenence (lifts and balconies, etc) and for the boiler. However, this does, also mean that you have heating as and when you want it, at no extra charge.

They are a very reasonable price solution to anyone wanting to live at Hillsborough...

I don't like the wing that is nearest to B&Q so much though, always looks less well maintained, doesn't get as good views, and because the sun hit's it funny, always looks a bit darker and drearier. I'd pick the front or the side opposite the Jet garage. Think they may be more money though.

Thanks for the advice borough gal. I do quite like the look of them. They do look a bit run down in places but are generally nice. I have asked about the maintenance charges which are about £80 a month. A bit pricey and reduces the mortgage I can afford.

Unfortunately the property is on the b&q side of the building but at least its less far to go when doing the place up!

Being a first time buyer (which is scarier than the ring and the village put together) I am mostly worried that I will move in and find it a nightmare with dodgy neighbours. But I guess that happens anywhere and you never know what your neighbours are like till you move in.

Cheers

Yeah, but I think you'd be happy there, it really is nice, and they're more or less all bought, so your neighbours are just as likely to be ok as anywhere else (except, of course, you have more of them, one at each side, one above and below!)...

I would find out from the estate agents how much the ones at the other side go for, and how often they come up, because I think they're worth waiting for. But whatever you choose, I'm sure you'll be ok.

And we'd be practically neighbours, which has to be a huge factor in you wanting to buy property in Gods Land. Remember. The sun always shines on Hillsborough.

;)

Well of course your presence makes the property all the more attractive. :) At least I would know someone there!

Housing market is pretty slow at the moment and not many new properties are available. Also for some reason it is difficult to get a mortgage for anything above the 3rd floor (dont know why!). So I may try and get this place.

I agree Hillsborough is nice. I live just near the deep end pub and it is generally a pretty cool place to be.

I went to look at a flat there a while ago. The flat was nice and the people I encountered on my short visit seemed ok too. There was a caretaker busy about the place, so you know your service charge counts for something.

One of the reasons I chose not to buy was the high service charge.

I figured if I payed that money on a mortgage I could afford to buy a house. Is that an option for you?

Out of curiosity roughly how much would one of said flats set u back?

I would rather not say! I dont want to encourage anyone to gazzump me! Sorry!

Pingu: I had thought about that but the charge is 80 a month which equates to say 5 grand more mortgage (at most) which is still not enough forr a house except in areas I would prefer nof to live in, I would rather have a flat in a nicer area.

Also be aware that you are only buying the lease of the flat, My ex hubby owned one on there, when he got flooded from a flat two floors up, the actuall owners of the flats who you pay the service charges too came round to inspect the damage.

I think they are called beardvale LTD or somthing simalar. Well anyway the guy was really rude and made a comment to the way of ' Its not your flat its ours you are just the lease holder'

Then he proceded to walk round crushing our belongings that were here and there on the floor (it was messy after the flood)

Apart from that and the sevice charge the flats are O.k and the cartaker and his family are lovley if its still the same one.

Good luck with it all anyway :)

Originally posted by davus78

I would rather not say! I dont want to encourage anyone to gazzump me! Sorry!

Pingu: I had thought about that but the charge is 80 a month which equates to say 5 grand more mortgage (at most) which is still not enough forr a house except in areas I would prefer nof to live in, I would rather have a flat in a nicer area.

Yes I agree a flat in a nicer area is better than a house in poor location, (location, location).

I was lucky in that the flat was under my budget in the first place, and with a lot of searching I have now had an offer accepted on a house in Hillsborough.

Good luck Davus.