Has Neil Diamond Ever Appeared In Sheffield ...

As an addendum to my response to Skippy's post ...one of the biggest mysteries of all time for me is WHY ON EARTH no videos were recorded of the original Hot August Night series at the Greek Theater in 1972. If I could ask Neil Diamond just one question THAT would be the question I would ask. "Why?!?" Even though no one could have known at the time these concerts were to become historical musical events. All the technology was available at the time to visually record these concert series. But, NO ONE DID!

I was just wondering whether Neil Diamond had ever appeared in Sheffield? If so, would anyone who saw the concert care to share the experience?

The first time we saw Neil was 1991 he was at the sheffield arena my youngest daughter went for her 8th birthday. We had ilse seats paid adult ticket price for our daughter, somebody let her borrow their binoculors so she is stood in the ilse with binoculors shouting as she points to the front of the binocs look mum "he is here". A very good night was had by all.

Might Have at the Fiesta

Hi can't remember him doing Fiesta but seen him 3 times at Arena fantastic show he puts on, recent birthday present 2 tickets to see him 2nd July Hampden Park Glasgow. :)

Hi can't remember him doing Fiesta but seen him 3 times at Arena fantastic show he puts on, recent birthday present 2 tickets to see him 2nd July Hampden Park Glasgow. :)

Another thread resurrection. Skippy mentioned that his purchase of the most recent ND DVD (Hot August Night: NYC) was not of the original HAN as he'd hoped. Since the original concerts were held at the Greek Theater in LA in 1972 the NYC tag should have been a giveaway, Skippy. ;)

That said ...the closest performance by Neil Diamond in the way he looked and sounded on that original classic album would be found on the ThankYou Australia DVD from 1976. This DVD evolved from footage of a TV Special of that year when ND was in his prime.* This particular Special was beamed live all around Australia with an intro by David Frost. The sound quality is not as perfect as it might be (after all, it was lifted from the 1976 TV print) but it's not too bad and is as close to Hot August Night 1972 as one could get. It's also a slice of music history.

*While almost 40 years has passed since the original Greek Theater series of concerts some might (rightly?) claim that ND is STILL in his prime after viewing the Hot August Night NYC DVD. This DVD really IS hot! And, of course, there is now SO much more song material available since the original concert series and the resulting album/CD. I really enjoy periodically watching this DVD on my big-screen TV/surround sound with the volume turned right up! Similarly so with my Eagles Farewell Tour DVD. Brilliant stuff!

That very question was asked on a documentary about his life Sput, his reply was that no one realised what a great turn out and show it was going to be at the time, but like everyone else, he now wishes it had been filmed.

That very question was asked on a documentary about his life Sput, his reply was that no one realised what a great turn out and show it was going to be at the time, but like everyone else, he now wishes it had been filmed.

Thanks, skip. How're ya doin' .. .?

I didn't know that ND had already addressed the question as to why Hot August Night had not been filmed. Even so, I couldn't imagine that it would have taken a whole lot more expense and technology to have filmed it anyway. I'm not giving up on this . . .:mad:

As said previously, the 1976 Thank You Australia Concert DVD is pretty close to the original Hot August Night. And, it seems most certain that it's as close as we're ever going to get.

Dammit! :rant:

Thanks for the ND link, Skippy. I couldn't see where I'm supposed to ask a question but I probably didn't look hard enough. What I DID discover on the site is that ND is back at the Greek Theater in August for a 40-year anniversary show. I guess they'll be true to form and forget to bring the bloody cameras again. ;);)

Yes, three times at the Areana. Great shows. No sitting at one end and looking through your binoc's., he used a central revolving stage.