Earl of wharncliffe

Yes - one one occasion he was involved in an accident in which someone was killed. I think he served a prison sentence.

That sounds familiar. I seem to remember that he was driving on the wrong side of a country lane and collided head-on with another car; one of the occupants died.

If you see the Queen Video of 'I want to break free', where Freddie is in drag, hoovering the carpet, watch out for the newspaper referring to 'The Rocking Earl'. It is the late Earl of Wharncliffe. His Mother was the daughter of Earl Fitzwilliam (Wentworth Woodhouse).

Does anyone remember the Earl of Wharncliffe being on the TV show 6-5 special? I know he had many brushes with the law, most of which were car related and which ultimatly led to his untimely death, I can't remember if alcohol played any part in these events. Anyway getting back to Wortley Hall, on a visit many years ago, I went there for a look around. Yes, I'm sure it had seen better times, I was told, at the time, that the place was owned by some Union or other and was being used for seminars and the like. There was, what appeared to be old row housing, that had, I'm sure once housed all the estate workers, even down to the laundry and wash house facilities plus sheds and buildings used for maintainence purposes and a garden nursery, all used in the upkeep of the grounds and mansion at one time. This was a very small estate compared to many of the stately homes dotted around Britian, but it was certainly a snapshot and a look back at a time gone by. To build anything remotely like that, in that location in this day and age, I'm afraid would be a multi-million pound proposition. It's my understanding that the pub, (was it the Wortley or the Wharncliffe?) had been owned by family members and had been a 'free house' which was a rarity many years ago.

Does anyone remember the Earl of Wharncliffe being on the TV show 6-5 special? I know he had many brushes with the law, most of which were car related and which ultimatly led to his untimely death, I can't remember if alcohol played any part in these events. Anyway getting back to Wortley Hall, on a visit many years ago, I went there for a look around. Yes, I'm sure it had seen better times, I was told, at the time, that the place was owned by some Union or other and was being used for seminars and the like. There was, what appeared to be old row housing, that had, I'm sure once housed all the estate workers, even down to the laundry and wash house facilities plus sheds and buildings used for maintainence purposes and a garden nursery, all used in the upkeep of the grounds and mansion at one time. This was a very small estate compared to many of the stately homes dotted around Britian, but it was certainly a snapshot and a look back at a time gone by. To build anything remotely like that, in that location in this day and age, I'm afraid would be a multi-million pound proposition. It's my understanding that the pub, (was it the Wortley or the Wharncliffe?) had been owned by family members and had been a 'free house' which was a rarity many years ago.

Firemans union I think.

I have a feeling they do weddings there now and open the gardens to visitors

Firemans union I think.

I have a feeling they do weddings there now and open the gardens to visitors

I think it was the Labour Party who initially took it on board as a conference centre. I believe various Trade Unions have undertaken/sponsored various pieces of restoration - the Firemans being one of them. It is a restaurant as well now. Went a couple of years back and thought how nice it was. A little gem hidden from view in Wortley village.

In the 60s i worked for a Wine and Spirit merchant called Porter Wright and company the Earl, his mother and thier friends used to buy thier booze from us and good customers they were!!!!

They had a lodger called Commander R O B Long who had a very distinguished war record and was played by John Mills in a film the name of which escapes me.

Also the Earl was a friend of Nick Bloxham who later joined the army and became, I believe a General.

All a bit posh a bit nutty but nice people.

found out on google the earl.s wife.Aline.died in Barnsley in 2001

Also they had a daughter who died in a road accident when she was in her early twenties.

Also they had a daughter who died in a road accident when she was in her early twenties.

That was Lady Joanna. The year was 1981.

Lady,s Rowena,Barbara & Anne still live in the village,Rowena is the Earls younger daughter.

I vaguely remember the Earl racing around in his car like a madman in the 70s... didnt he get into trouble a few times for dangerous driving and drink driving?

Yes, he did, I was working at the Court House at that time, remember him looking very frail whilst he was sat in the dock. He went to prison but I can't remember for how long.

i would love to find out as much information out as possible as we my family are related to the Wortley family and i would love to find more details of where my family fit in my grandfather was Arthur Wortley and married Alice Murray in Sheffield i would love anyone with any ideas of how to find any further information to contact ,me via dminnimouse@yahoo.com

thanks so much Debbie

I worked in a tailors shop on Fargate in the early 1960's, the Earl was a regular customer. I recall that he had his military badge woven into the breast patch pocket of a bespoke blazer, no stiching one on for him. Oh yes, he never ever paid for anything, we had to send an invoice to his agent.