Earl of wharncliffe

I had professional dealings with the Earl, nothing exciting just a public sector worker, and he had problems. I remember his wife only in passing. She was incredibly nice and very attractive. She struck me as someone with a lot of warmth and empathy.

Hi i was just wondering what had happened to the Earl of Wharncliffe or his family i found a pewter tankard that i think was awarded to the Earl in 1961 for the grand tour it says B.R.S.C.C Snetterton 8.10.61,Grand touring and production sports cars.over 2000cc 2nd The earl of Wharncliffe.

I was wondering if the family would like it back it has a glass base with a picture of an hanging man and says The Last Drop which may refer to a coaching inn or something I did try contacting the B.R.S.C.C but they did not have any records that far back Thank you

Hi i was just wondering what had happened to the Earl of Wharncliffe or his family i found a pewter tankard that i think was awarded to the Earl in 1961 for the grand tour it says B.R.S.C.C Snetterton 8.10.61,Grand touring and production sports cars.over 2000cc 2nd The earl of Wharncliffe.

I was wondering if the family would like it back it has a glass base with a picture of an hanging man and says The Last Drop which may refer to a coaching inn or something I did try contacting the B.R.S.C.C but they did not have any records that far back Thank you

He passed away long time back...His car an Austin Healey 100 still sits in the Montague museum in Beulie.? Dont know about his family. But Carlton used to own a pub out on the estate..His life was colourful and high flying when he was young.. There is a website and you can Google it. Gives all the family history. There used to be more on the Sheffield site but maybe its gone now..

His daughter Rowena still lives in Wortley, I will DM her address to you :)

I vaguely remember the Earl racing around in his car like a madman in the 70s... didnt he get into trouble a few times for dangerous driving and drink driving?

I vaguely remember the Earl racing around in his car like a madman in the 70s... didnt he get into trouble a few times for dangerous driving and drink driving?

There's an echo in here!

The earl used to fill his sports car with petrol at the Barrack Hill Garage in Hillsborough.

One day I was with my Father in Law filling one of the Wedding Cars with petrol alongside the Earl and his sports car.

He was drunk as a pig and bragging off to the petrol attendant aboiut his motoring offences.

He produced his red driving licence book to show him and it was thick with motoring offence stickers.

I was disgusted with him and wondered why he was allowed to hold a licence with so many driving offences.

In those days we firmly believed there was 1 law for the poor and another law for the rich.

Little good did do, turning a blind eye to his drunken antics which resulted in a death.

Happy Days! PopT

He was seriously injured in a crash and spent several weeks in the HGH I took him to many different departments while he was a patient he was a very nice polite man his wife worked in the xray department for a time.

I remember the family in the early 70's when i was a marine cadet, the earl would allow us to camp on his land and we were allowed to learn rock climbing on the crags.

It was fun trying to chat up the earls pretty daughters who if i remember were far too posh for us ruffians :-)

The earl used to fill his sports car with petrol at the Barrack Hill Garage in Hillsborough.

One day I was with my Father in Law filling one of the Wedding Cars with petrol alongside the Earl and his sports car.

He was drunk as a pig and bragging off to the petrol attendant aboiut his motoring offences.

He produced his red driving licence book to show him and it was thick with motoring offence stickers.

I was disgusted with him and wondered why he was allowed to hold a licence with so many driving offences.

In those days we firmly believed there was 1 law for the poor and another law for the rich.

Little good did do, turning a blind eye to his drunken antics which resulted in a death.

Happy Days! PopT

I had the misfortune of meeting him once - he was a 'dirty' man in every sense of the word.

I was in the NGH around 77/78, they had a mixed sex ward and he was on it.....very strange man

I was in the NGH around 77/78, they had a mixed sex ward and he was on it.....very strange man

That is the place and time I met him too.............