Earl of wharncliffe

Aline used to do voluntary work at Sheffield Royal Infirmary in the 70's.

My pal's dad took a blood sample from him for drink driving. The result was not only positive, it was over the generally accepted lethal level.

Having read all the comments, I was sad to learn of the death of the Countess, Aline. She came to work as a typist at the Northern General Hospital in the X-Ray Dept where I also worked. She was a really nice lady - very friendly. We got on very well. I often wondered what a Countess was doing working as a typist! They were obviously very short of funds!

On my 'leaving do', when I'd found another job (a couple of drinks at the local), I remember one of my colleagues being very annoyed when he offered to buy a round of drinks and she ordered a whisky and soda and an orange juice to follow! She then only had a sip of the whisky and left the rest! I suppose that's how the 'toffs' were!

I also worked at NGH from 1972-1975 firstly in the Technical Offices and then Casualty (as A&E used to be called) - the old building on the Herries Road drive - I worked on the Orthopaedic Desk.

I also worked at NGH from 1972-1975 firstly in the Technical Offices and then Casualty (as A&E used to be called) - the old building on the Herries Road drive - I worked on the Orthopaedic Desk.

I worked at the NGH from 1976 to 1978. I enjoyed working in the X-Ray Dept and learned a lot of technical medical jargon - like hyperostosis frontalis interna! (Don't ask!) :)

I worked at the NGH from 1976 to 1978. I enjoyed working in the X-Ray Dept and learned a lot of technical medical jargon - like hyperostosis frontalis interna! (Don't ask!) :)

Well did the Earl of Wharncliffe suffer from this condition?

A disorder where the front bone of the skull becomes thicker than normal.

So have you the info and back up to support your claim?

Well did the Earl of Wharncliffe suffer from this condition?

A disorder where the front bone of the skull becomes thicker than normal.

So have you the info and back up to support your claim?

I don't think he suffered from the disorder but I don't really know - I don't think so. I was only showing off my medical jargon - it seems to have backfired! What info do I need - what claim? If you mean about working with Aline, I can't prove it. I've only got my memories - unless the NGH personnel site can be accessed for the late 1970's! :|

found out on google the earl.s wife.Aline.died in Barnsley in 2001

Also they had a daughter who died in a road accident when she was in her early twenties.

Somtime in the 80s I went to their house to do some work on the phones, the countess made me a cuppa.

The Earl looked a rather sorry state by then, he had to be carried downstairs.

Didn't they have a daughter called Rowena?

Somtime in the 80s I went to their house to do some work on the phones, the countess made me a cuppa.

The Earl looked a rather sorry state by then, he had to be carried downstairs.

Didn't they have a daughter called Rowena?

Yes. Lady Rowena Montagu-Stuart-Wortley-Mackenzie was born on 14 June 1961. She is the daughter of Alan James Montagu-Stuart-Wortley-Mackenzie, 4th Earl of Wharncliffe and Aline Margaret Bruce.

Yes. Lady Rowena Montagu-Stuart-Wortley-Mackenzie was born on 14 June 1961. She is the daughter of Alan James Montagu-Stuart-Wortley-Mackenzie, 4th Earl of Wharncliffe and Aline Margaret Bruce.

I remember the name because in the kitchen she had her own tea caddy with her favourite brand of tea.

I have a mystery. Supposedly my great grandparents were invited to some ceremony or party for the Earl of Whauncliffe in the early 1900s - probably around 1912 or 1913. Here's the rub, they had immigrated from Yorkshire to the USA in the late 1800s and when they lived in Yorkshire, my great grandfather was a coal miner. So, of course it comes to mind as to why they would have been invited. This generation has discounted some of the talk, but of late we've been finding items that lead us to believe that perhaps there was some connection to someone and the name that comes down from all of the various cihldren of the greats is Whauncliffe. My great grandmother was a no-nonsense, take no prisoners kind of gal and it's kind of hard to believe that she brought all of her children up on fairy tales, yet when I talk to any of the cousins, they all have various stories that tie to Whauncliffe.

We do have pictures of when they went back to England, an elaborate tea set that my great grandmother was given, a silver urn lined in gold and a very old set of brass candlesticks that is handed down to the oldest male in the family. There were 16 children born to them so everything has been spread far and wide, but everyone seems to have similar tales and it has all of us wondering.

So, any thoughts?

Thanks

Thanks

I cant specifically help you, other than to say two things -

1) Its the Earl of Wharncliffe. Though pronounced about half way between the two spellings. Wiki link here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earl_of_Wharncliffe

2) 1912/13 would be the 2nd Earl about whom I know little, though I believe he like his Father was heavily involved in the Great Central Railway (railroad in America). The Great Central was strongly interested in various new US Railroad ideas around this time, so just a suggestion - was your family involved in US railroads? If so could they have been part of a delegation to do with that? I know you said mining but I'm just wondering here...

Sorry I cant be of any more help.

EDIT - and yes the Wharncliffes did have coal mining connections so it could have been to do with that I guess. However unless senior in a mine I cant see them meeting a pretty senior Peer of England.

Edited by libertarian
More info added