Demolition (Channel 4) - Vote for a horrid Sheffield Building

Originally posted by Phanerothyme

The national Pop centre (however ill conceived) is a great building. As are the millenium galleries, park hill flats, the winter gardens & the DWP Ziggurat.

NO they aren't... As heard and seen on 'Demolition' people in general do not like buildings that stand out, out of place or which do not fit in what is already there. All of the cited buildings above fit these criterea.

X list 'em all !

Perhaps if we returned our centre into what it was meant to be and built as originally then we would agree on the true class of we deserve.

Originally posted by Captain_Scarlet

NO they aren't... As heard and seen on 'Demolition' people in general do not like buildings that stand out, out of place or which do not fit in what is already there. All of the cited buildings above fit these criterea.

What people like, and what is good, are invariably not the same thing. Eye of the beholder is the crucial factor

X list 'em all !

Perhaps if we returned our centre into what it was meant to be and built as originally then we would agree on the true class of we deserve.

That doesn't actually make sense.

Maybe if we knocked down the monstrous Town Hall, we'd be getting somewhere.

Originally posted by Captain_Scarlet

X list 'em all !

If we stuck to architecture that fits in with old buildings we'd end up with a very dull and uninteresting world.

We don't always get it right, but it's necessary to try brave new designs in order to create a dynamic city.

I agree with Phan, all of those buildings have broken away from normal architectural constraints. They're the buildings that people talk about. Every visitor that I've entertained in Sheffield makes positive comments about buildings like the NCPM and Winter Gardens.

Watching Demolition at the mo, they just showed clips of the various places they will be visiting and I am fairly sure that Kevin McCloud is walking through Park Hill (i know its going to be featured in the top 12) when he nearly gets hit by a missile from above.

Way to go chavs of Sheffield *sigh*

Originally posted by Andy78

If we stuck to architecture that fits in with old buildings we'd end up with a very dull and uninteresting world.

No we'd end up with a beautiful extravagant and almost wild centre, with buildings having many unique features. Look at the few buildings between Pinstone St and Cole Brothers, magnificent, best way to see em is from the top floor of the car park.

You mistake fit in with building the same... I see your point but it's off.

Interesting programme last night.

I was amazed to hear that English Heritage talked about the redevelopment giving the building a life of another 20 or 30 years!

Is this what taxpayers are shelling out £35m for? Do potential buyers of apartments in Park Hill know about this forcast? It all seems very odd to me.

Originally posted by eighty4

i disagree i think it looks nice now its kinda finished and cant wait to see what the rest sheffield has to offer. IF you are goin to nominate a building to be demolised be a little more realistic, they have only just just built the hotel FFS !

I think the program showed sheffield in a possitve light, we should be proud of our city :-)

I am very proud of our city, which is why I despise this monstrosity that has destroyed the peace gardens, the central focal point of our city centre. I can't see from what angle it 'looks nice'. Whoever sanctioned that eyesore should have their offices and homes demolished along with this ugly f@#ing heap of rubble!!!!

And I actually like the Winter Gardens and NCPM. I think that they bring some variety to the architectural landscape of Sheffield but 1 St Appauling's Place cannot be considered 'nice' by any stretch of the imagination. Apart from the retro-minimalist design that harks back to a time during which most buildings built are now being demolished, it has simply taken over space that would have been much better left open.

The mughal emperor who had the Taj Mahal built got the architect's hands chopped off so that they would never again design anything as beautiful. I think that in the case of 1 St Appauling's Place we need to do the same to the unimaginative architects, greedy developers and corrupt council officials responsible for it, so that they never again build anything as UGLY as this in our beautiful green city! :gag:

I bet Sheffield people were the first to sabotage the machines of the Industrial Revolution. I don't know about the future, it looks like the present is too modern for some of us.

And we wonder why big companies don't re-locate to Sheffield ?

No, I have absolutely nothing against modern design, if it's done well. 1 St Appauling's Place certainly isn't modern. It's just a pretend retro-modernist eyesore!

Originally posted by JimFX

No, I have absolutely nothing against modern design,

as long as it looks old fashioned ?

I spent last week at the IT Furnace, which is on the 5th floor across the road from 1 St Paul's Place and has a great view of the area. The more I saw of 1 St Paul's Place the better it looked.

I find it hard to see how they are going to fit 3 buildings of similar size on that plot of land though.