PSP handheld Info wanted

After total disasters with the Nintendo handhelds always breaking at the hinges i was looking at the PSP getting two for the kids.

However, with all gaming machines I know naff all about them so can someone tell me what they do, how much are the games and what they are basically like.

I have seen some people on them but never know what they actually do.

After total disasters with the Nintendo handhelds always breaking at the hinges i was looking at the PSP getting two for the kids.

However, with all gaming machines I know naff all about them so can someone tell me what they do, how much are the games and what they are basically like.

I have seen some people on them but never know what they actually do.

Our house is handheld heaven, We have 3 nintendo Ds lites, and did have a PSP. The PSP belonged to me, after 3 months the sound completley went, GAME replaced with a brand new one. So off I trotted with my new PSP (which was a lite, I haD returned the original PSP).

3 months down the line it broke again... I got another new one and put it on ebay. More trouble than it was worth, in our house we all much perfer the DS. Game choice is much better, imo.

The psp does do fancy things for e.g. watching umd films, but these are much more expensive than the dvd versions.

You can also listen to music, I never did this, and browse the internet.

It depends what you want from your handheld, pop into game and ask the guys in there, they are helpful.

Try goggling PSP reviews too.

Good luck and happy gaming. :)

Another handheld heaven here.

We have ds lites and psp`s in this house.

The psp is more sturdy(we have had 4 ds`s that have broken hinges) but the ds has way more games and better games.

Saying that my youngest(3yrs) has just come and asked for the psp, he loves the sonic games.

My Nephews and friends have a collection of PSP's (4 in total I think) and I can;t say there's been a problem with any of them. Only issue I have is battery life could be better but they are getting on as bit now so could probably do with replacing.

You can also use them as additional controllers for PS3's as well, which is handy if you have a PS3, obvioously not so much if you don't.

you can do so much with a psp.

from putting homebrew on, down to watching films its a very versatile piece of kit. The easiest way I have found to describe it is imagine its a PS2 in your hand and the style of games etc reflects this. :thumbsup:

The games come on little discs called UMDs. Imagine a minidisc, but with rounded edges.

Games are very cheap from Ebay, usually only a few pounds and there's a very good selection.

You can also get movies on UMD format. Again, starting at a few pounds. New ones are sometimes three for a tenner at places like GAMESTATION.

You can also put music and videos onto the PSP with a memory card and you can get free software to convert films to the PSPs format.

There is also built in wireless for browsing the net and listening to internet radio.

The games come on little discs called UMDs. Imagine a minidisc, but with rounded edges.

Games are very cheap from Ebay, usually only a few pounds and there's a very good selection.

You can also get movies on UMD format. Again, starting at a few pounds. New ones are sometimes three for a tenner at places like GAMESTATION.

You can also put music and videos onto the PSP with a memory card and you can get free software to convert films to the PSPs format.

There is also built in wireless for browsing the net and listening to internet radio.

What he said^^^^^^^^

We have both the consoles in the house, I did start a thread on here a while ago asking advice on whether my lad should swap his psp for a ds, he didn't swap in the end and he's glad he didn't.

The psp is great for storing photos and music on and the graphics on his games are great but I suppose it depends on what kind of things yor kids want from their consoles.

I personally think that Nintendo are going daft with all the new gadgets for their consoles, I saw an advert for a game this morning that includued a pedometer!

Also I can honestly say that my lad hasn't had a single problem with the psp and it gets a lot of use!

dont want to join in on the mine is better than yours arguement, but the DS has got too many things that can go wrong (hinge and touch screen becoming unbelievably scratched.

PSP looks good and you can connect it to the ps3 (if you get one in the future), not to mention the screen quality and the ability to put homebrew applications on certain versions

PSPs are cool, I modded mine with Custom Firmware 3.71 :D Now I can download and play all the latest games. For free!

Love my PSP and have the latest firmware update....but is there anyway I can downgrade it safely....and be able to play "downloaded" games?

my little brothers have had their psp's for over a year now and we've had no problems. excellent quality for watching films on too on long train journeys!

PSPs are cool, I modded mine with Custom Firmware 3.71 :D Now I can download and play all the latest games. For free!

How clever of you.

At least you're admitting that you're a thieving parasite.