My kitten is tiny

i got charlie from a rescue centre and they told me he was about 8-9 weeks old but he is small for his age, we have two female adult cats who use the litter tray we have tried him in the tray and when he first come last sunday he used it for a couple of days but since then he is doing it on the step and carpet nr the door, do you think i should get a seperate litter tray for him only, he isn't very lively that's what makes me think he is younger than what he is he sleeps a lot and just sits basically like a little pigeon , he comes on your knee but that's it apart from nighttime when he comes on the bed

8 or 9 weeks is still very young to be away from mum! They usually stay with mum until at least 12 weeks. I would try another litter tray, the scent of the others might be putting him off. You could always ask a vet if they can tell his age? Our first cat Tigger was found abandoned in a box with another cat. He then got hurt and when I took him to the vets the vet was very suspicious about where I had got him from, turns out he was only about 4 weeks old :o. Some cats are generally just tiny so I wouldn't rely on his size too much as an indication of his age.

If the litter you're using is different to the stuff he had in the rescue centre he maybe taking a while to get used to it. Some litters feel uncomfortable under foot. Also, some cats are very fussy and wont use a tray again if its already been used.

Cats are normally fastidiously clean by nature and they seem to know instinctively how to use a tray.

Don't clean it with disinfectant or bleach or any strong smelling chemicals or cleaners- use pet friendly ones such as Safe4Pets or similar and dont scold him if he toilets inappropriately.

For the time being, you might need to try two or more trays positioned at various locations in the house- if he's only a baby he might not remember where the 'facilities' are and has a better chance of getting to one on time if there are a couple more.

What rescue was it? They shouldn't have really let him go until he had been given his vaccinations and eating drinking and using his cat litter tray. You could try putting his food where he is messing, that sometimes works. In the meantime get some cimicat for him to build him up a bit. Also it concerns me that he is quiet and all hunched up. If he was mine I'd get him checked over by the vet just to put your mind at rest. Keep him warm in the meantime by putting a hotwater bottle under his blanket in his bed.

This doesn't sound like a sensible thing for the rescue to have done unless he was a singleton kitten without mummy or siblings, in which case getting him out into a home is the most sensible thing to do, but it should be with experienced people who are aware of his extra needs.

You really could do with knowing what litter he was using at the rescue centre so that you can get some of the same with a small litter tray for him to use that doesn't smell of your other cats. I'd put his new litter tray where he's been choosing to go at the moment.

If he uses other areas either cover them with silver foil (which seems to be particulary unpleasant under the paws) or double sided sticky tape with the sticky side exposed- they really don't like stepping on that- or clean up thoroughly and put his food there as Labyrinth suggested.

If he's younger than the stated age then he could need much more care and help with feeding than he's been having at the moment. If you're in any doubt please take him to a vet for a proper age assessment- don't wait for him to get really unwell before you take him either.

If you've got him this young then presumably he's also not had his vaccinations? The potential risk here is that he could come down with something like Calici virus (now known as Feline Herpesvirus- part of the cat flu vaccination) which makes them sluggish and causes pain that stops them from moving about.

I hope he's stronger and happier soon.