So I Went To CEX Today As I Was Recommended...

I suppose if people dislike CEX they could just do what I do, avoid the place :)

TBH I get quite tired, as an employee of listening to people whine and moan about what, at the end of the day, is a second hand store paying its staff minimum wage. The staff here are employed to serve you to the best of their ability within the limitations of the store, if that means we don't have cash, well tough. It's not our fault, it's normally yours, we aren't a bank, we're a business. The phones and whatnot may seem over priced, but most stores won't allow you trade in any random old nonsense towards the price of your purchase, so it's a balance. If you want a new item without any issues, if you've found something cheaper for new elsewhere, don't tell me about it, don't moan about it, I DON'T CARE! Just go and buy it and revel in your own smugery for beatin the system or whatever. Seriously, I'm not paid to deal with this nonsense. Also, all the whiners on this thread, please come and complain to the store so we can do you the privelege of banning you so you never have to shop here again. Thank you :D

TBH I get quite tired, as an employee of listening to people whine and moan about what, at the end of the day, is a second hand store paying its staff minimum wage. The staff here are employed to serve you to the best of their ability within the limitations of the store, if that means we don't have cash, well tough. It's not our fault, it's normally yours, we aren't a bank, we're a business. The phones and whatnot may seem over priced, but most stores won't allow you trade in any random old nonsense towards the price of your purchase, so it's a balance. If you want a new item without any issues, if you've found something cheaper for new elsewhere, don't tell me about it, don't moan about it, I DON'T CARE! Just go and buy it and revel in your own smugery for beatin the system or whatever. Seriously, I'm not paid to deal with this nonsense. Also, all the whiners on this thread, please come and complain to the store so we can do you the privelege of banning you so you never have to shop here again. Thank you :D

The Customer Care Training Course not a success, I take it?

customer care? Nah more a case of not being paid enough to warrant to rubbish I'm expected to endure. I'm perfectly polite and helpful to anyone who has the good grace to complain IN PERSON.

somethingwit,

if you do actually work at CEX then you've just really let yourself, your colleagues and the whole of CEX down.

What a terrible post, let's hope for your boss isn't a member of this site.

I don't work for CEX nor ever have done (I had to get that in, because the following is a defence)... BUT... I like the place. The staff have always been polite and patient, and some of the films they have in stock are just never gonna be found anywhere else in Sheffield... plus it can be SO CHEAP! Cheap enough to forget about the queues, or the little chavlings outside trying to get you to sell 'their' phones for them. it's common sense that when you're buying second hand games and DVDs you check their condition first. If there HAS been a problem I've just taken whatever back and got a refund or a replacement.

So they won't always buy stuff... and what about it? There's no law that says they have to do so and the odd time I've seen someone get annoyed, they've made an exception.

Honestly - it's one of my favourite shops in the city. Some of the films... seriously... just ace for browsing.

That said, I'd never buy hardware from them. It's well overpriced for used/reconditioned.

I've never really had any bad issues there and the staff have always seemd ok. And where else can you get PS2 games for £1.50 lol!!!!

The queues can be very long and it does at time look pretty disorganised behind the counter so perhaps that needs addressing.

The other week the queue was very long, so one of the staff asked people who were just buying to make another queue. The buying queue remained very short whereas the selling / swapping queue remained substantial. I've noticed the process of selling or swapping can be quite long in there so maybe permanent two queues could be the way to go?

I don't really feel that I have let anyone down, or that any of my collegues would feel I had let them down. It's somewhat depressing to come online and read this after spending all day trying my my utmost to give good customer service. The actual grievances that people have are all well and good, but complaints about staff are unwarranted and do make me lose my cool (hence the above rant) as do complaints about our cash situation, which we are powerless over, and our returns policy, which is stated on both the receipts and the website. I apologise for ranting in the manner I did above, but I do not apologise for the sentiment, because thats how most of us feel when we read threads like this.

To be fair to somethingwit, staff working in retail have a tough time of it.

Usually paid minimum, or barely above it, wage. Having customers rant and rave, being completely unreasonable. Customers can complain about staff, unfortunately staff cannot complain about customers.

I have worked in retail for a while.

Most customers were reasonable, but it wasn't unusual to get those that would never be happy unless you gave them everything for free and some cash on top.

I had various threats from customers, including one death threat (for closing the shop on Christmas day!).

So those commenting about customer service training etc. it goes both ways. If you are pleasant and polite to shop staff they will generally do what they can.

As soon as you start shouting, threatening etc etc it's hardly suprising staff are less inclined to help as much as you might like. Very often customers don't understand that the staff cannot do what the customer is demanding.

dont forget most of the customers STINK of ****

best place to buy and sell games? Playtime juust off the Peace Gardens, great prices on second hand stuff and great prices on sells too.

Well said somethingwit! Honestly, the whingers on here are amazing - as if everything in their life is so perfect!

I couldn't work with the 'general public' for all the money in the world.

Back to CEX:

• If it's the one on High Street, well that entire area is peopled by druggies/Bankers Draft types, so what do you expect Harvey Nicks?
  • The (mostly) crap they sell is used. Don't like it? Go to play.com
  • The so-called adults who are still playing GTA, World of Warcraft etc. ought to realise that this type of thing should have been left behind on their 15th birthday.

Get a life all you 'X-Box/PS2 gamers'