Anyone remember Boltons Bakery, Chapeltown?

can anyone remember the bakery belonging to boltons up burncross road Chapeltpown and any of the staff that worked there such as ken ridge and his daughter sue or margaret buxton.

I remember Boltons Bakers. They had a shop on Station Road, also at Ecclesfield and one at Hoyland. Jill's Pantry was also part of the group. I think they closed around 1975. They also did outside catering. My brother in law used to work there. He makes fabulous Apple Pie and Date and Walnut loaf. The bakery became a plastic window factory I think. Boltons Breadcakes were the best in the world.

i cant remember the bakery but it was behind where i live on burncross rd. it has been used by chapeltown glass which has now moved.

the house i live in used to be my grandma & granddad's {charlie & edna pepper} fish & chip shop. can anyone remember them or my mum betty taylor nee pepper or my uncle bill {william} pepper. also my dad maurice taylor. :hihi:

I remember Boltons Bakery up Burncross Road, I worked there when I was 15 years old from September 1970 - March 1972. Yes I remember Ken & Margaret @ the bakery, & John Taylor the van driver & I think the lady driver was Elsa [not 100% sure on her name].

I can remember Boltons Bakery they did the catering for my wedding at the

Wellington Pub, Janson Street Carbrook , in 1967 and a grand job they did...:thumbsup:

the van drivers name was ella there was also willie the foreman and mick and stuart.

I worked at the bakery from 1963 to 1974 there was also ivy and sandra. can,t quite remember the chip shop but it is at least 40 years since.

I have been doing my family tree and found out in 1949 my parents had Boltons to do the catering at thier wedding held at Darnall medical Aid Hall, considering it was a time when rationing was in force, I wondered if any of the Boltons records survived, as I would be really interested to know what the menu was?

Alan - with regard to your parents wedding reception, I was with Bolton's in the 70's so can't help you. However, the menus never changed whilst I was there so it is possible that it was the bog standard ham and tongue salad, white and brown bread and butter (not forgetting the assorted condiments - ie salad cream, hp brown sauce) and sherry fruit trifle for afters. I think the price per head was about 7s 6d when I was there.

Good luck in your research.

You are right Smithie I had the menu you discribed for my wedding in 1967 and it was 7s 6d lol

I worked for Boltons on Saturdays when I was at school going with them to weddings helping serving and washing up. I enjoyed it, would have been mid seventies and the Marshalls were friends of my parents.

there was also some pigstys at the back of boltons bakery