Registering a company

Looking to buy wholesale stuff direct from China and need to know if people out there have bought from these ldu guys. I bought a sample throwing knife off the company but before placing a larger order just looking for some reassurance out there. I want to buy more throwing knives and some butterfly knives in bulk wholesale lots. Website is http://www.lducompany.com Anyone know about them? And just for the record the knives are on this page http://www.liangdianup.com/knives_1.htm

Looking to buy wholesale stuff direct from China and need to know if people out there have bought from these ldu guys. I bought a sample throwing knife off the company but before placing a larger order just looking for some reassurance out there. I want to buy more throwing knives and some butterfly knives in bulk wholesale lots. Website is http://www.lducompany.com Anyone know about them? And just for the record the knives are on this page http://www.liangdianup.com/knives_1.htm

What does this have to do with registering a company?? But my 2p is only a mug would get involved in a business selling knives in the current climate

this may sound stupidm but here goes...can you register if you are a sole trader and will it protect against copy writing?

First question…..

Can you register if you are a sole trader.

By that I think you mean; can a sole trader start a LTD Company. Yes, but you need a minimum of two directors, example; you and your spouse but then you are no longer a sole trader, which is pretty pointless.

Second question…..

Will it protect against copy writing? (I think you mean “Copy rights”) the answer is “no” but you would be best to put this question to the Writers Group.

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=80

First question…..

Can you register if you are a sole trader.

By that I think you mean; can a sole trader start a LTD Company. Yes, but you need a minimum of two directors, example; you and your spouse but then you are no longer a sole trader, which is pretty pointless.

Not quite - you can start a limited company with a sole director, BUT there must be another person appointed as company secretary. This is to make sure that annual returns are always made. (for a small business, the annual return is the only duty of the company secretary so it's usually a very trivial job to find and appoint one - they need to know what they're getting into though as they could go to prison if they fail to do what they should do)

(Annual Return - this is the bit of paper/online form you have to send to companies house each year to confirm the names addresses of the directors, to check that you are still trading and they know your whereabouts - the annual return is often confused with the annual accounts which are the director's responsibility)

Thanks for clarifying that Rich, it has been a long time since I sat in the big chair, so I’d best keep “mi gob shut”:confused:

Registering a business name as a sole trader or as a limited company does not award you copyright (or rather, a trademark registration, which would be the case here not copyright) however there is a thing called 'passing off' which can be fought without having a reg trademark in place but with or without it, you need to be fairly financial well-off to fight it in the courts.

Most will run abide by a cease and desist letter as many businesses start up not thinking to check a name exists elsewhere in that same sector (class) that could be seen as passing off.

Just google 'passing off' and 'trademark registrations' (UK not US websites) to find out more.

Thanks for clarifying that Rich, it has been a long time since I sat in the big chair, so I’d best keep “mi gob shut”:confused:

Hey don't do that! The rules are all so complicated we're all confused about what's what. I only know this one because I set up a sole director company a couple of years ago (and I cheekily googled to make sure).

One I'm not so sure on - I THINK you don't have to have business insurance as long as you are a sole director and have no employees.

thanks everyone this is really good advice, I will look into everything a bit more....and then probably be back when I dont understand something!!!