Police car chases

Anyone who claims to be a good driver ought to know that "dangerously slowly" is a logical impossibility.

We've proved you wrong on that one before, please give it a rest...

But it's not impunity because there's always the risk of injuring someone and all the attendant consequences of that.

Driving under emergency conditions is not taken lightly.

It is with impunity if they don't do anything wrong other than drive fast and go through red lights is my point.

Sad to report death of female in incident involving police vehicle driving under blues , Salford , Manchester. R.I.P.

Sad to report death of female in incident involving police vehicle driving under blues , Salford , Manchester. R.I.P.
Maybe that wasn't one of the situations they can "normally handle". (speculation as I don't know the circumstances]

Yep, however the police drivers are trained to high standards and can normally handle those situations safely.

The police do what they have to do. They're very well trained in high speed driving and so long as people pay attention when sirens are blazing, things tend to run smoothly.

The OP was pointing out an occassion when the police officer did a dangerous manouvre endangering other road users.

The OP says that the officer ran a red light causing road users to compensate. Running a red light is a highly dangerous option no matter how well the driver has been trained, he/she cannot guarantee that other road users will be as aware of his/her proposed actions.

Yes of course I enjoy my job, but give me a foot chase over a car chase any day, that's enjoyable and quite exciting. Car chases aren't fun as you seem to think, there's way to much to concentrate on and do to make it fun.

I'm afraid I still find this hard to believe. I would have thought that one would have something of an interest in cars and driving to become a traffic cop. People spend huge sums of money buying fast cars because they like to drive fast, albeit illegally on occasions I know but nevertheless they drive fast because they like it. There are plenty of people involved in numerous different types of motorsport who seem to find driving fast a thrill, others pay lots to participate in fast driving track days. There are dozens of magazines, books, exhibitions, shops, websites etc etc about fast driving, it's a big industry because people are intersted in it as a hobby. Being professionally trained and paid to drive in a manner which many people aspire to, sometimes in high performance cars specifically designed for people who want to go fast and get round corners quickly such as Evos and Imprezas and yet you expect us to believe it isn't fun and exciting and you'd rather run after people. I don't buy that one, sorry.

It is with impunity if they don't do anything wrong other than drive fast and go through red lights is my point.

darbees , if i were you i'd go and do a little bit of reading around the subject before spouting off effluent like that ... and dan given what he does day to day in his real life and one of his previous skins is really quite 'up' on the subject of emergency vehicle driving and the legal exemptions open to emergency drivers

darbees , if i were you i'd go and do a little bit of reading around the subject before spouting off effluent like that ... and dan given what he does day to day in his real life and one of his previous skins is really quite 'up' on the subject of emergency vehicle driving and the legal exemptions open to emergency drivers
I don't mind if people disagree but that post looks rather like effluent to me. I am well aware of what Dan does, all we are doing is having a discussion about whether or not some police driving is dangerous and the consequences. Do you want to make some sort of positive contribution to this thread?

darbees, dan has pointed out to you that you post was at best inaccurate ...

emergency drivers cannot drive with impunty ... any incident involving a marked emergency vehicle will result in a full investigation and may involve disciplinary action against the driver even if no crime has been committed....

Maybe that wasn't one of the situations they can "normally handle". (speculation as I don't know the circumstances]

That's a very cheap shot when a member is saying rest in peace to a recent victim of an incident.

You appear to be quite against emergency driving, let us hope you are never at the other end of the phone requiring any sort of help. It would be terrible if these trained people had to come to you and drive in a way that you don't appear to condone.

I'm afraid I still find this hard to believe.
You can believe what you like, however I am talking from experience.

I would have thought that one would have something of an interest in cars and driving to become a traffic cop.

I don't know, I'm not a traffic cop. I'm a response officer.

People spend huge sums of money buying fast cars because they like to drive fast, albeit illegally on occasions I know but nevertheless they drive fast because they like it. There are plenty of people involved in numerous different types of motorsport who seem to find driving fast a thrill, others pay lots to participate in fast driving track days. There are dozens of magazines, books, exhibitions, shops, websites etc etc about fast driving, it's a big industry because people are intersted in it as a hobby. Being professionally trained and paid to drive in a manner which many people aspire to, sometimes in high performance cars specifically designed for people who want to go fast and get round corners quickly such as Evos and Imprezas and yet you expect us to believe it isn't fun and exciting and you'd rather run after people. I don't buy that one, sorry.
Yes, I enjoy foot chases (especially the ones where I catch the person I'm chasing) but blue light runs and car chases are not enjoyable, they are just part of the job.

You appear to be one of these people that mistakenly think the cops is all about blue lights, fast driving and arresting people. The people who share this view and join the job normally end up quitting in the first year or two because it's not what they expected.

Response or pursuit driving is not a fun event, it's a necessity. And please don't confuse someone going fast for kicks with someone doing either of those two sorts of driving, it's totally different.

I have no interest in Evos, Imprezzas or driving fast. I drive an emergency vehicle because it's part of my job and it helps me do what I enjoy, I don't however enjoy the blue light runs or vehicle chases.

I've nothing against emergency driving at all, I was responding to OP and saying that some fast emergency driving is inappropriate for the "crime". I don't think anyone should risk being involved in an accident/incident just to stop someone who is on their phone.