Police car chases

Yes, following an investigation by his own force, plus officers from another force, overseen by the Independant Police Complaints Commission, following which he was prosecuted by the Crown Prosecution Service.

Hardly impunity is it?

Yes because he wasn't punished in the end and his force were shown to be out of order in trying to punish him and he is seeking recompense for that.

You can see that in some of these 'car chase' programmes. It has GOT to be an adrenaline buzz for the traffic cops, whatever they say - it's human nature.

Surely the police must be able to deal with catching these criminals in a less utterly dangerous manner? I'm horrified by some of the things you see on these 'police in action' programmes, so very irresponsible.

StarSparkle

Agreed again.

He wasn't punished because he didn't do anything wrong - but it illustrates the efforts that are involved in investigating a police collision, with the possible loss of job, loss of pension and loss of liberty - not to mention the emotional impact of being involved in a collision where someone has died or been seriously injured!
My point was that they can ordinarily race about the streets with impunity, if something goes wrong of course it has to be investigated and it may carry emotional consequences too but that can happen in other walks of life too.

i fail to see what the point would be of "racing around the streets" with or without impunity... for no reason.?

is it to get to the next domestic where the house stinks of urine and the dog comes into the lounge for a crap before back out into its "clean" kennel.

is it to get to the next neighbour dispute where adults have been calling names over the garden fence.

perhaps its the smith family again, falling out with each other and wanting the cops to come arrest the drunken step dad who has scabes and lice and convictions for incest.

hmmmmmm yes, i would always get my foot down for quality calls like that.

or maybe, just maybe... if you do see a cop car driving like the clappers, with or without blue lights (depending on the type of call theyre not always used).. there is a valid reason to do so.!! after all, if you have 6 hours to go before the end of a shift, what difference does it make driving quickly..? it wont make the end of the shift come any quicker..!!

or we could all just hang up the car keys and say bo***cks, whats the point !

I would be interested to know your qualifications, IAM or ROSPA perhaps ? Both of which are on a par with students having completed week 1 out of a 2 week standard Police Course.
The standard driving course is currently 3 weeks long :)

Im sure if you read this back you will see it needs correcting, I would like to think that during a Police Pursuit the bad guys may be driving dangerously due to their lack of experience, however, a suitably trained Police Officer can follow at similar speeds and maintain safety and control without being dangerous, if this is not the case then they should abort.
No, I don't think it needs correcting. I was allowing for the fact that unfortunately a very small number of officers will do stupid things when driving even though the majority of us follow the rules.

I don't believe it and since I presume you enjoy your job I presume you will enjoy that part of it with your new found skills.
Yes of course I enjoy my job, but give me a foot chase over a car chase any day, that's enjoyable and quite exciting. Car chases aren't fun as you seem to think, there's way to much to concentrate on and do to make it fun.

I've seen officers shaking with excitement from adrenalin rush after car chases.
I think I can honestly say that I've never had this after a blue light run or chase. I don't think I've ever seen it on any of my colleagues either.

This is why no matter how highly trained you are there will be idiots who make the situation dangerous if you approach at high speed.

Yep, however the police drivers are trained to high standards and can normally handle those situations safely.

You can see that in some of these 'car chase' programmes. It has GOT to be an adrenaline buzz for the traffic cops, whatever they say - it's human nature.

Surely the police must be able to deal with catching these criminals in a less utterly dangerous manner? I'm horrified by some of the things you see on these 'police in action' programmes, so very irresponsible.

StarSparkle

I often think those programs are a bad image for the cops. You see quite a few mistakes made in them and day to day shifts are not like that.

I'm sure that there are quite a few cops out there who obviously know the job and the law, that have watched the odd program and thought "oops" when they've seen stuff done by the officers on the TV.

The standard driving course is currently 3 weeks long :)

How times change over 15 years ! (as it been that long) thank heavens for that 3rd week of nee nah nee nah..............put your cones out like this, Oh the thought of driving a diesel panda ! Makes it all worth while..............

Yep, however the police drivers are trained to high standards and can normally handle those situations safely.

You have a short memory !

"No, I don't think it needs correcting. I was allowing for the fact that unfortunately a very small number of officers will do stupid things when driving even though the majority of us follow the rules."

You have a short memory !

"No, I don't think it needs correcting. I was allowing for the fact that unfortunately a very small number of officers will do stupid things when driving even though the majority of us follow the rules."

Not at all. Police drivers are trained to high standards and can normally handle those situations, however I'd be naive to think that everyone behaved and performed perfectly each time. Like I said, there are a very small minority that let the rest of us down from time to time, I'm not going to lie and say everyone is perfect as we see occasionally in the press where the odd driver is caught doing something they shouldn't be. Luckily the majority of us are responsible and drive safely as per our training :)