Has the war on drugs been lost ?

with drugs easy to get anywhere and the so called "war on drugs" a thing of the past , have the goverment surrendered and realised they are fighting a loosing battle .

It will never be won. Too many people like drugs too much and will go to great lengths to obtain them.

It will never be won until all drugs are legalised and the dealers have no incentive to promote them. If that ever happens, which it won't, the only "war" to be fought would be against addiction rather than use same as the wars against tobacco and alcohol.

They say drugs are difficult to get hold of but I've just walked into Wilkinsons and bought some hayfever relief tablets and nobody tried to stop me.

War on drugs? Don't make me laugh.

It will never be won until all drugs are legalised and the dealers have no incentive to promote them. If that ever happens, which it won't, the only "war" to be fought would be against addiction rather than use same as the wars against tobacco and alcohol.

I agree there.

I agree with this. Prohibition seems to have failed and merely provides criminals with a way to make vast amounts of cash. But nobody in authority is brave enough to propose an alternative.

The sad fact is that the men at the top of the tree are making millions out of misery. I have come round to thinking that the only solution is to make the illegal drugs available at a low price or even free. This would cut off the drugs barons income and while it will be bad for a good long time for addicts I think numbers would decline much as smokers are doing. There would also be no need for addicts to commit crime to get money for their drugs. Can anyone put an opposing viewpoint?

The sad fact is that the men at the top of the tree are making millions out of misery. I have come round to thinking that the only solution is to make the illegal drugs available at a low price or even free. This would cut off the drugs barons income and while it will be bad for a good long time for addicts I think numbers would decline much as smokers are doing. There would also be no need for addicts to commit crime to get money for their drugs. Can anyone put an opposing viewpoint?
I can't but there are plenty on here who will.

I know where you are coming from and I agree to an extent HOWEVER it does seem grossly unfair that people who require life saving drugs for medical conditions have to pay for their treatment, yet people who chose to abuse drugs (and lets not forget, the taking of illegal drugs is totally down to the choice of the individual) should be allowed these drugs free of charge.

I just find it hard to justify.

legalise weed, pills and coke and the like.

if its decent quality and not tainted with harmfull substances then it will save lives. it would also mean dealers cant push heroin so it would be less likely people moved onto it.

I know where you are coming from and I agree to an extent HOWEVER it does seem grossly unfair that people who require life saving drugs for medical conditions have to pay for their treatment, yet people who chose to abuse drugs (and lets not forget, the taking of illegal drugs is totally down to the choice of the individual) should be allowed these drugs free of charge.

I just find it hard to justify.

Modern medical drugs are the product of hundreds of man-years of research; often these days the drug is specific to a narrow range of relatively rare conditions. Having to pay all those biochemists a wage means that a course of modern medicine is very expensive.

Recreational drugs, on the other hand, are easily grown by the acre and have a cost price similar to that of ibuprofen. But heroin being one of the most illegal and most addictive substances on the planet means that its supply chain can make extortionate profits at every step. This is why drug use creates so much crime: people going crazy with withdrawal need a large amount of cash for the next fix, and will stop at nothing to get it.

Now I don't think that heroin should be available over-the-counter, due to its addictive potential, but freely prescribing it to those already addicted would bankrupt drug barons and do more to cut crime than hiring 100,000 extra coppers. I'd rather have no drug barons and a lot less crime than not give a few addicts some smack. Heck we could also buy peace in Afghanistan by paying the locals £10 for a field of poppies!

Agree also.