Coal fires in Sheffield

Originally posted by lazyfish

Also, where's good to buy a fireplace? We've had a look in a couple of those places off Broadfield Road but wondered if anyone had any other recommendations. It's the cast iron style with the single columns of floral tiles either side that we're after.

Try Heart of the Home at 91 Chesterfield Road. The two blokes that run it look a bit scarey but they are very nice and friendly.

Blimey! Takes me back a few years to when the old smoky city had a coal fire in almost every house (some of us couldn't afford coal so we nipped to the neighbours for a warm).

But when we did have coal - it was great, getting up in the morning and screwing up bits of newspaper, stuffing it in the coals and trying to get it to light long enough to do something to the coal. Then it was a wash in freezing water - cos we had them weird back boilers in those days.

Back to the fire where me and my kin would huddle, toasting bread (or in my case covering it in soot).

By eck - them were the good old days when you called a spud a spud and no mistaking.

Er!!! I think I've lost the plot.

Dragon

Can anybody remember when Sheffield became a "smokeless zone"?