Hosting a party etiquette

The advantage to this was that you were unlikely to under or over cater for however many people turned up.

From that perspective - it's a fantastic idea. I hate wasting food. I do it all the time at these gigs, but I dislike it.

Why not ask them (as earnestly as possible), if this is a new social trend and lament how behind the times you feel for not doing this yourself. :(

Maybe it'll guilt them into changing the arrangements? Even if not it'll be interesting to see how they explain it. :)

Good idea!! The thing is that they bitched and moaned about being invited to someone's house for a birthday do where they all had to pay for their own takeaway pizza, which I agree was outrageous. I was incensed on their behalf.

For a bbq, the format as i've always understood it is - we'll say to mates bring booze or food. But if you really can't then don't worry, cos you'll still get fed and watered.

From that perspective - it's a fantastic idea. I hate wasting food. I do it all the time at these gigs, but I dislike it.

But I do feel that there is a difference between having some people round for a get together and having people round to mark a celebratory event. I personally would still provide everything, whatever the occasion.

I've been to plenty of BBQs in South Africa. They are so damned traditional, I hated them. Women all turn up with a salad (but meat provided by hosts) & congregate in the kitchen, the men all compete over the bbq and then get smashed and retire to watch sports.

And they're all so racist.:gag:

What century are we living in?

For a celabratory event I wouldn't ask folk to bring anything. I agree.

What are you going to do then?

No, they ain't! They don't live in Sheffield.

..phew, at least it isn't Stagewalker BBQ thingy..that could have been embarrassing! :blush::lol:

For a celabratory event I wouldn't ask folk to bring anything. I agree.

What are you going to do then?

I will go along with a couple of bottles of Cava, some beer (she's already had her pressies) and a bag full of Tesco's special meaty ribs (bought 5 packs today, they're in the freezer cos about to expire). I'll probably do some salads as well. I shall be my usual life and soul & will no doubt get plastered. I do love her to bits, but am just a bit taken aback really.

We have met btw. I think I was plastered at that event too.:suspect::suspect:

Does that constitute chat? Please don't ban me! Tomorrow's enforced SF-free day is more than I can handle!:hihi:

Or maybe phone up feigning concern about their financial situation and how you never realised things were so bad. If they've got any pride they'll crack and start explaining themselves.

Failing that, remind them you have already provided your share of food when your mate would otherwise have been living off takeaways! :rant:

Or just tell them what bloody selfish parasites they are... :hihi:

We have met btw. I think I was plastered at that event too.:suspect::suspect:

We have? Have we? We have have we? Oh my! :confused:

We'd better get back on topic, or I'll have to warn myself. :help:

Or maybe phone up feigning concern about their financial situation and how you never realised things were so bad. If they've got any pride they'll crack and start explaining themselves.

:

ooooo, im loving that idea :D

Failing that, remind them you have already provided your share of food when your mate would otherwise have been living off takeaways! :rant:

Or just tell them what bloody selfish parasites they are... :hihi:

I'll get over it! Was just feeling somewhat irked about it today! Thing is, I'm her oldest (ie longest standing!) friend, so was kind of expecting a dispensation, not a round robin text saying 'dear friend etc'.

We have? Have we? We have have we? Oh my! :confused:

We'd better get back on topic, or I'll have to warn myself. :help:

Yup. I was BEHIND YOU! (said in Panto-esque style):hihi::hihi::hihi: