Hosting a party etiquette

Though I wouldn't do it I don't really have a problem with it, especially as folk are feeling their wallets emptying faster than ever before. Once a cheap option, a BBQ is probably the most expensive party you can now hold with the current price of food.

I'd just go with the flow Suffragette1, and when you next have one suggest that everyone brings a flagstone so you can build that new patio :D

They live it up when they want. Several weekend breaks a year, a weekend at Ragdale Hall just gone. Double income, no kids etc.

OIC. No excuse then.

I'd just go with the flow Suffragette1, and when you next have one suggest that everyone brings a flagstone so you can build that new patio :D

I am going with the flow. When we next have a BBQ I'll ask for guests to provide said BBQ and build it themsleves!:hihi::hihi:

In fact stocked up on Chinese spicy BBQ ribs in Tescos earlier, as they were on special offer!

Maybe the person in question wants to get everyone together but just can't afford to do it?

I wouldn't be too harsh on them, personally. We don't give in order to receive, do we. :)

Of course not, and that it totally not my style at all. Just a question of priorities. See #11.

Is it me? Am I being unreasonable? Or is this the latest craze? Bring your own?:confused:

You are not being unreasonable. Any half decent self respecting host would never ask. If you choose to take a bottle or anything at all then that's down to you.

You are not being unreasonable. Any half decent self respecting host would never ask. If you choose to take a bottle or anything at all then that's down to you.

Thanks, that's what I think.

Well l may be boring, but dont have parties or BBQ's , l if cant afford to pay for my guests then its all off.

Well l may be boring, but dont have parties or BBQ's , l if cant afford to pay for my guests then its all off.

We don't host anything (other than a dinner party/meal etc) either unless we can afford to put on a good show.

They live it up when they want. Several weekend breaks a year, a weekend at Ragdale Hall just gone. Double income, no kids etc.

Who is 'they'?

Ive hosted plenty of partys and wouldnt even dream of asking guests to bring a bottle, i alway make sure i cater more than enough food and plenty of booze, after all, i am the host and they are my guests.

saying that, it all depends on your friends financial situation, if they are struggling then i wouldnt mind, but if they were in the same financial situation as me .... but just didnt want to folk out then i would be very insulted and probably wouldnt go.

We don't host anything (other than a dinner party/meal etc) either unless we can afford to put on a good show.

exactly ......... same here honey.