Drawing up a will - can you advise please ?

My husband has recently discovered that he is shown as the first of two named executors in a Will. He was not consulted and therefore this was done without his knowledge. The Will was not drawn up by a solicitor but by a firm of " Will Makers " but appears to be a legal document. It is not a task that he wishes to undertake but he has now been asked to sign the Will. He has not done so to date. We now want to know what would happen if that person should pass away - would my hubby have to fulfil his obligations or would he be able to decline? Many thanks to anyone who can throw light on the matter and takes the trouble to reply.

No he doesnt have to accept this role if he doesnt want to do so. Your husband shouyld also write to person and will maker informing them he is not prepared to take on this role, object to their failure to checking out whether he agreed and asking them to remove his name from the will. Copy it to the person

He neither has to sign or do it.

If the willmakers are any good 3 execs should be named, in case of deaths or changes in relationships/views in the interim.This would leave the usual of 2 executors.

As far as I'm aware, no executor is expected to sign a will, just the witnesses. We've just updated ours and obviously consulted our executor beforehand (who is also legal guardian to our kids in the event of us both dying) and they didn't have to sign.