"Self inflicted" injury and sick pay?

I twisted my ankle badly playing squash on Thursday night. Got home OK and sat down for a while. Then stood up and ended up at Northern General.

I've had Friday and today off work as I still can't put too much weight on it. My colleague has just texted me and said that I won't be getting paid for these two days as they're a "sports injury". My contract's in my desk at work so I can't check it. Anyone know if he's right or not? He's probably winding me up, but if he's not I'm going to be hopping mad (no pun intended).

I mean, technically it was OK till I got home. Can I argue that the actual injury happened at home? Does it make a difference? Is it any of their business if I self-certify two days off?

What union are you in? They are the best placed people for advice about this.

In my workplace, the sickness and absence policy was quite tight in that it did specify that you wouldn't get sick pay if it's a sporting injury - however, they had to prove your injury was due to sports and not coming down the stairs at home. If you say you have done it at home, then they would have to go along the lines of getting a Company doctor to examine you and your injury - or someone would have to testify in a witness statement that you did do it playing sports. I don't know what your contract says along the lines of self-certification but a lot of firms now have "waiting days" in that you don't get paid for the first three days of sickness anyway (to stop people from having a couple of days of following hangover) but after that, you can self-certify yourself for 7 days and should get company sick pay (depending upon how long you have been with the Company) or SSP. I don't know how long you have been with your Company.

This colleague of yours - why would he know if you would or would not get sick pay? Is he your line manager? Was he playing squash?

Hope this helps, but you do really need to look at your terms and conditions of employment. On the whole, if you are a good employee and this is a simple accident, no manager would go along such stringent lines/company policy unless he/she really wanted to annoy you or had ulterior motive.

Max has the right idea. I guess your contract and your employers attitude may have some bearing on it.

Hiya Hotphil

hope your ankle is getting better.

Most companies that I know of don't distinguish between 'self-inflicted injuries' and 'other sickness'. Usually because it is so difficult to prove one way or the other. If you're sick, you're sick. But you really do need to check out your contract of employment and any other terms and conditions. Once you've done this, and if you've still got any queries, come back to me/us.

Take care

Thanks for that. Am back to work this morning and will find out what's what.

Originally posted by hotphil

Thanks for that. Am back to work this morning and will find out what's what.

It works both ways dont forget.

If you dont get paid, just wait until THEY want something, like overtime, then tell them to swivel

Originally posted by Liose

I don't know what your contract says along the lines of self-certification but a lot of firms now have "waiting days" in that you don't get paid for the first three days of sickness anyway (to stop people from having a couple of days of following hangover) but after that, you can self-certify yourself for 7 days and should get company sick pay (depending upon how long you have been with the Company) or SSP.

Do you mean Asda, by a lot of companies?

probably just your colleague winding you up, unless he's in a position to know.

Originally posted by viking

It works both ways dont forget.

If you dont get paid, just wait until THEY want something, like overtime, then tell them to swivel

Well it doesn't really work both ways at the end of the day.

The firm needs labour, and they pay people for that need. I know there is a bit more than that simple explanation, but hotphil's question wasn't really about that. He was asking if he would be paid for work he wasn't doing.

Thanks for all the replies. Turns out it was my ex-mate and former squash partner winding me up. Has made me think though. Will now be more careful about how much my employer knows about what I do outside of work.

Oh, and will make sure I've got a copy of my contract at home too!