South Yorkshire Floods 2007

Well I remember the coverage on BBC Radio Sheffield from the night it started happening through to the helicoper rescues at Royal Mail on Brightside Lane through to the week before at Darfield in Barnsley when a typical terraced street was ngulfed in water. As a resident on a hillside where we would not have flooding, my heart went out to those who had been flooded in someway. I do have that Sheffield Forum will feature people's thoughts and opinions of the floods that gripped the national, this maybe sheffield forum but i do hope that other people in other regions of south yorkshire will text their own views of the floods, they should not be forgotten. What do you think???????????

There was a full section on here dedicated to the floods. Obviously it was mainly sheffield discussions as this is the sheffield forum. However other areas were not forgotton.

From what I could see it was a nationwide effort which was simply staggering. And the forum which Diamond Girl mentions went on for a very considerable while after the floods had been officially over although the aftermath is still a very, very long way to go before being resolved.

Well I remember the coverage on BBC Radio Sheffield from the night it started happening through to the helicoper rescues at Royal Mail on Brightside Lane through to the week before at Darfield in Barnsley when a typical terraced street was ngulfed in water. As a resident on a hillside where we would not have flooding, my heart went out to those who had been flooded in someway. I do have that Sheffield Forum will feature people's thoughts and opinions of the floods that gripped the national, this maybe sheffield forum but i do hope that other people in other regions of south yorkshire will text their own views of the floods, they should not be forgotten. What do you think???????????

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=359066

if you read through the thread you will see that this was earned from the hard work after the floods to help people :)

I was saying that even after a year, people are still having problems i.e. they cannot lve in their housese as they are still damp and in poor condition, the floods caused businesses to have dramatic downturns in trade due to their individual strifes including forgemasters, the wicker, sheffield and rotherham centres etc. The real local media coverage was Look North, Calendar and Radio Sheffield programmes and sheffield forum and lets face it the newspapers spoke more of the southern parts of britian than us. I could say a lot, but the forum and its membership will hopefully say more in the coming weeks.

Just to clarify what I meant by a nationwide effort - I was staggered by the amount of support Sheffield folks received from people around the country. Catcliffe even had some guys travel up from Southampton to help them out after having been given a right royal runaround from some of the Councils they'd approached. They were really lovely lads.

Then there were folks from Birmingham freecycle wanting to help us organise and deliver stuff to people in need, the only difficulty there being the lack of funds for petrol and storage.

This is not to forget the sterling work of people like Bago who initiated the Sheffield Forum drive to get food, clean clothing and bedding out to people at Winn Gardens and elsewhere.

Hard to imagine it's a year ago tomorrow, isn't it?

A lot of people will have memories of the event filling their minds and, for the family and friends of the two people that died, they will be very sad ones. The thoughts of myself and undoubtedly all of you will be with them tomorrow.

God forbid anything of such magnitude ever happens again, but what are your views as to whether we are in a better position a year later to cope?

:blush::blush::blush: where is the archived thread of last year?

I was looking for it this morning so I could post a thread to commemorate it was a year since the flood...but I couldn't find it either :huh:

So I posted instead on a thread about the closure of Middlewood Road due to the flood....one year on and road is still closed :rant:

Congratulations on your MBE for services to the community....well done :D

Can you believe it's realy one year ago?

I looked at the link you gave Fox - the thread right at the end wont allow me to access it though for some reason.

I know I said it in Intros and Celebrations - but congrats again fox on your MBE for all the hard work.

Can you believe it's realy one year ago?

I looked at the link you gave Fox - the thread right at the end wont allow me to access it though for some reason.

I know I said it in Intros and Celebrations - but congrats again fox on your MBE for all the hard work.

Geoffs link at the end was to the dedicated flood forum - it seems it has been deleted :(