Old Sheffield street maps (1850 -1900)

I am researching my family tree. Most of my relations lived in or around the same district and I am interested in seeing just how close together their dwellings were, but some of the addresses don;t exist any more on modern maps.

Does anyone know if you can buy copies of old street maps or if they are available to view on line.

(NB: researching NEEDHAM, LOCKETT, ROBERTS, WEBSTER, HALL)

Alan Godfrey publishes reprints of Ordnance Survey maps, mostly c 1900/1905. I use some of them so much they fall apart and I have to buy new ones. You can buy them at Sheffield Scene (Surrey St), Waterstones, and probably other places.

If you can get to the Local Studies Library when it reopens after its redecoration (next week I hope) they have a big collection of old maps.

HughW

cheers guys.

you can always rely on the forum......

cheers ........

Now all I need to do is find where abouts Orley Street was at the turn of the century...

Somewhere in Nether Hallam is all I know so far........

You can find Kelly's 1901 Directory of Sheffield at this site - there is no Orley Street listed . Could you mean Morley St?! The listing for Morley Street is on page 304.

Morley St runs from Walkley Lane to Walkley Bank Road.

Hugh in Walkley

Originally posted by LoopyLou

cheers ........

Now all I need to do is find where abouts Orley Street was at the turn of the century...

Somewhere in Nether Hallam is all I know so far........

Or possibly Hawley Street, runs from bottom of Broad Lane to Campo Lane, it might possibly classed as Nether Hallam, and it's in the old complex of streets near West Bar so was probably there and residential at the turn of the century?

Just had a look at the 1903 map and hawley Street is there, looks like terraced houses.

And on mojoworkings 1890 map.

Not sure, the census sheet seems to clearly show Orley and not Morley or Hawley.. I suppose the person recording the census may have got this wrong???

Thans for your help guys, I'll check out the links you have posted.

Loopylou.

Originally posted by mojoworking this map is brilliant,as most of the steets around neepsend and rutland rd are now gone, i was able to see how close together my family lived in the late 1800,iwas also wanting to look at a map for the wadsley village area, before all the cottages got pulled down,anyone got any ideas where i might find those old maps.

Here's a really good on-line map of Sheffield from 1890:

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~engsheffield/photos/streets/streetrelated/1890smap.htm