Greggs Charging For Sitting in Shop

7 hours ago, Reesh2052 said:

if you eat in a restaurant and café why should you sit there for FREE when someone has to wash the pots, clear the table and clean up after you! 

To be fair, it's very rare that I find a clean table in a cafe. Often, they don't have enough staff on to both serve at the till and clear and clean the tables. Usually it's a case of counting yourself so lucky at finding a table at all that you over look having to clear it for yourself. Cafe Nero are one of the worst for this in my experience.

I went to Greggs on Angel Street for a vegan sausage roll. They were clearly labelled: £1 to take out, £1.20 to eat in. 

In St Mark's  sq  Venice,  they charge €5 for coffee if you sit outside and €18 if you sit inside, we were charged €9 for a 150ml orange juice! 

Maybe Greggs aren't actually charging extra for eating inside, maybe thats the normal price and they are just giving a discount to folk taking their food away?

18 hours ago, Yog Sothoth said:

I went to Greggs on Angel Street for a vegan sausage roll. They were clearly labelled: £1 to take out, £1.20 to eat in. 

As someone has previously mentioned, it's all about VAT. The core business is selling food - if you buy a product to take away, the provider hasn't added any value (as such) to your vegan sausage roll (for instance). If you eat in, the 'value' that they have added is providing somewhere for you to eat your vegan sausage roll, hence the 20p / 20% uplift.

People are disgusted at this because it is visible. I would just charge 1.95 to everyone and no one would be disgusted because unseen. I understand the comments but by the original posters logic it is better to secretly charge the higher price to everyone. To be offended is your choice, prefer to be secretly ripped off go there instead. This personally does not bother me but dual prices for beers in pubs does and i just avoid them simple.

Any company that has a seating area whose turnover is above the VAT threshold must pay VAT as they are offering a service. 

A bit off topic, but maybe somebody can explain this to me regarding Gregg's.........

They can sell you a meat product, beef or even chicken that can be piping hot, luke warm or nearly cold.

The food standards allow this, but my mushy peas or curry sauce must be kept at a holding temperature, as they say if it falls below there is a risk of bacteria growing..........so it must be safe to eat luke warm chicken or sausage rolls, but dangerous to eat cold peas?

🤔🤔🤔😂😂😂😂😂

12 hours ago, mrplodge said:

People are disgusted at this because it is visible. I would just charge 1.95 to everyone and no one would be disgusted because unseen. I understand the comments but by the original posters logic it is better to secretly charge the higher price to everyone. To be offended is your choice, prefer to be secretly ripped off go there instead. This personally does not bother me but dual prices for beers in pubs does and i just avoid them simple.

I remember nearly 50 years ago when I first started going in the pub, it was always a penny more in the lounge than it was in the tap room.

Edited by iansheff

Shops can charge you for eating inside. They usually ask are you eating / drinking in or out. 

On 12/06/2008 at 15:30, theripsaw said:

Not noticed that but did notice that the slices of tomato in their V cut cheese and tomato are now 3mm thick as opposed to the previous 3.56mm.

I thought it was only me that carried a micrometer in my pocket. 😉

As for VAT on food the rules are bonkers, see below.

https://www.accountsandlegal.co.uk/tax-advice/vat-in-the-food-industry

On 17/03/2019 at 09:46, Phoenix sayers said:

This happened to me, I know the post was from a while back but yesterday me and my friend went to buy some food, she wanted to get hers from somewhere else, and because it was raining I came back to Greggs to sit and eat in because it was raining outside, there was no notice or anything and this women who worked at the till started shouting at us saying you didn't say you was sitting in so i explained to her why we chose to come back and why I didn't say I was eating in and she began shouting at us again infront of everyone...🙄 she was really ****** off about it all but i honestly had no idea about it ghere was no sign or anything, she was telling me how I could get fined if i ate inside it she said no your not eating in you didn't say you was so get out... which was really rude... so i ate it in the rain 🙄🤷‍♀️ and macdonalds do not do the same coz i even said to her that I thought it worked likeacdonalds, also if you say your eating out in macdonalds and then sit down no one says a thing, I do it all the time because i dont like the trays 

The price list is clear. What you did was order and pay for one item, then try and take a different higher priced item instead for the same price.

It’s no different to scanning an item at a self scan then putting a completely different item in the bagging area.  Its theft.  Well done that staff member.

i went to a cafe in france years ago and they had 3 prices,stood,bar stool or table and outside at a table,maybe the way we are heading