The Red Lion Book Club (thread#3)

So those of you who were at the meeting yesterday, what did you think about The Personal History...? I really, really liked it, too bad I couldn't make it to the meeting.

And I've been catching up on past book group books--I finished Half of a Yellow Sun a couple of weeks ago.

I didn't make it to the meeting because I wasn't feeling well, but I really liked the book, too.

So those of you who were at the meeting yesterday, what did you think about The Personal History...? [/b]

Hi Maels,

It got a general thumbs up, though some liked it more than others.

Personally, I thought it was quite dull, apart from the opening chapter which I thought was excellent. Did you think the ending was optimistic or pessimistic? There was some disagreement about this at our meeting.

And I've been catching up on past book group books--I finished Half of a Yellow Sun a couple of weeks ago.

What did you think of it?

It got a general thumbs up, though some liked it more than others.

Personally, I thought it was quite dull, apart from the opening chapter which I thought was excellent. Did you think the ending was optimistic or pessimistic? There was some disagreement about this at our meeting.

I thought the ending was rather interesting because it was so open and you could interpret it many ways. And I think how you feel about the husband will have an impact on how you see the ending--he'd probably see her as giving up and not living up to her promise, but on the other hand she's finally taking her life into her own hands and wanting better than back-breaking toil for her children.

What did you think of it?

For some reason I didn't really read much about it before I started reading, and it wasn't only until I was about two-thirds in that I realised I didn't have much of an idea what the Biafran crisis was, so I went on Wikipedia to check. But not knowing much meant I got into the characters and theirs hopes and dreams without the knowledge of difficult things to come overshadowing it. On the whole, it was a difficult book to read because of the things that the characters went through, but well-written and certainly one to make you feel for the characters.

Hi Guys,

I can't believe I am going to miss 3 meetings in all ;-( I LOVED Persopolis, despite having already seen the film (worth a watch by the way) but had a flooding disaster at work and just wanted to stay home by the time I got there looking/feeling like a drowned rat. I can't make the August one but let me know when September one is.

Laura

Hi Everyone. Sorry didn't make July's meeting but definitely plan to be there next month. I enjoyed the book, but agree that some parts were very difficult. I thought she was an immensely strong woman who was made to make difficult choices. Although I enjoyed the story, I did find some bits a little 'dull'. Looking forward to the next meeting!

Hi guys - I'm going to come along to this meeting - very mich looking forward to reading and discussing Crash

Justine

That's good. I have booked the big table for us.

I'm not going to make it, I'm afraid - partly because I haven't started the book and can't see when I'll have time to read it between now and the meeting.

I'm half way through Crash. Hmmm... it's not quite what I was expecting. Feeling a little apprehensive about the feedback, especially as I chose the book. How was I to know JG's mind itself was such a twisted wreckage?

Well, if I never read the words "binnacle" or "pubis" in a novel again I won't feel deprived, that's for sure.

Quite right pb. Pubis, binnacles, chromium treadles and Vaughn's hard buttocks - there does seem to be a lot of repetition of certain phrases.

Perhaps it stems from this book being based on a short story. Maybe JG decided to convert it into a novel simply by repeating all the words in his short story rather than by extending the plot?