The Red Lion Book Club (thread#3)

Only 3 of us tonight but we did manage to talk about Mrs Dalloway and set a definite date for the March meeting - 11/03 (Code13 asked them to reserve the big table for us).

We also talked about dates for April meeting - how does the 15th sound to everyone? And we had a suggestion for the April book - details should follow soon.

The March book is Walk the Blue Fields by Claire Keegan

Hello all, I attended my first meeting this week having recently moved to Sheffield. I was asked to nominate a book for April and suggested Life and Fate by Vasily Grossman. I've checked and it's rather longer than I thought (about 850 pages instead of the 450 - 500 that I thought!). I'm happy to go ahead with it but I know not everyone will have the time to get hold of the book and read 800 odd pages.

I'm drawing a blank for another nomination as all my books are still boxed, so I'll throw it open. Any Suggestions?

Only 3 of us tonight but we did manage to talk about Mrs Dalloway

Apologies for my absence. What was the verdict on Mrs Dalloway?

I found it onerous to begin with. However, once I got used to the style, I started to enjoy it and ended the book with an urge to read it again.

As Code13 has mentioned above, he didn't like it and BHrich hadn't read it. This was the second time I've read it - the first time I was rather surprised it wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be; this time I realised I'd forgotten how much we get about other characters, not just Mrs Dalloway. I enjoy it when I get into the flow of the text but sometimes if I failed to pay attention for a few pages, I realised I wasn't sure in whose thoughts we were - I thought everybody was a bit samey (although obviously things that occupy their minds are mostly quite different).

...I was asked to nominate a book for April and suggested Life and Fate by Vasily Grossman. I've checked and it's rather longer than I thought (about 850 pages instead of the 450 - 500 that I thought!). I'm happy to go ahead with it but I know not everyone will have the time to get hold of the book and read 800 odd pages.

I'm drawing a blank for another nomination as all my books are still boxed, so I'll throw it open. Any Suggestions?

I'm not sure I can hack another book that long, so soon after the trauma of The Northern Clemency.

Code13's asked me to suggest Devil May Care by Sebastian Faulks - it's a James Bond novel: Sebastian Faulks "writing as Ian Fleming". 320 pages!

Any thoughts? I am biased because I love the Bond books anyway.

Edited to add: In other news, I started Walk the Blue Fields last night, and by the time I got to work this morning I was a third of the way through the book. A refreshing change!

Edited by shlg

I think 800+ pages is more than I could manage in a normal month, so 320 pages of Devil May Care sound more appealing... I read some of the Bond novels in my teens, so it would be interesting to see what a modern Bond book is like :)

I think there has been sufficient time for any objections so we can settle on Devil May Care for the April book.

started reading walk the blue fields today-not what I was expecting so looking forward to discussions-what time do you kick off on the 11th?

We meet at about 7.30 (and the discussion usually starts around 8) - at the big table in the conservatory.

Edit: Blooming automatic smilies! That was supposed to say "the discussion usually starts around 8"!

Hi,

I wasn't able to get a hold of Walk the Blue Fields despite looking through all bookshops I could think of in Sheffield and Manchester... Needless to say I haven't read the book so I won't be coming on Wednesday. But I'll make sure to get my hands on a copy of the Devil May Care so that I'm well prepared for a good discussion at the next meet. Have a lovely evening on Wednesday and I'll see you next time.

Come to think of it, this is the first time I've missed out on two meetings in a row! My book club routine is in a state of clear imbalance...