The Red Lion Book Club (thread#3)

Sorry to miss the club the other night (for only the second time!). Can someone post the date for Warhorse and title of the next book please?

Noted that you continued the tradition of picking the book and then not showing up!

Our next meeting will be Wednesday May 9th, for Warhorse by Michael Morpurgo.

We didn't manage to agree on the next book, but I agreed to come up with a shortlist!

•  
  • The Somnabulist by Essie Fox
  • The Inheritance of Loss by Kiran Desai
  • Mourning Ruby by Helen Dunmore
  • Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

Are there any on the list that appeal? One with the most votes will be June's book!

Thanks, ClockEnder. My vote goes to The Hunger Games.

Pb, did you enjoy Our Man in Havana?

We didn't manage to agree on the next book, but I agreed to come up with a shortlist!

•  
  • The Somnabulist by Essie Fox
  • The Inheritance of Loss by Kiran Desai
  • Mourning Ruby by Helen Dunmore
  • Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

Are there any on the list that appeal? One with the most votes will be June's book!

I'd be happy to read any of those (with slight reservations about the Helen Dunmore book, as I've read some of hers and she's been a bit hit and miss for me). If I had to put them in order, then I'd say The Somnambulist as first preference, then Hunger Games, The Inheritance of Loss, and finally Mourning Ruby.

Hi

Just to be awkward. Not keen on Hunger Games as that will be second childrens / young persons book in a row. 1st choice - The Inheritance of Loss, 2nd - The Somnabulist, then Mourning Ruby (which sounds relentlessly depressing, but I'll do it for book club if I have to!!) :)

I leave you kids alone for ONE night and you can't make a decision! :-D

That's exactly how it is!

OK, based on opinions so far, let's go for The Somnabulist!

See you all on May 9th

Sorry, can't make it to bookclub tonight. Have fun and see you in June!

I'm sorry, but I can't make it either. This is a shame because I enjoyed the book and made lots of notes! :shakes:

I'm sorry, but I can't make it either. This is a shame because I enjoyed the book and made lots of notes! :shakes:

Do you want to share any of your thoughts here? I thought we had a good discussion about it even though the book didn't really do much for me.

As previously agreed, the June book will be The Somnambulist by Essie Fox, and we'll be meeting to talk about it on 20 June.

The next book after that will be The Accidental by Ali Smith

I thought it was a nice story.

It was a bit odd having it written from a horse's point of view. But fortunately Joey was bi-lingual, and everyone kept him informed of what was going on outside of his stable, otherwise it might have been a bit boring.

It was also a nice change that the book had a very straightforward structure, with the emphasis placed on the story itself. I doubt this next one will be like that. :roll:

I think we worked out that Joey was tri-lingual, English, French and German.