The Red Lion Book Club (thread#3)

Tis a shame shlg and code13. You missed Mocca's final appearance... for now anyway.

Virginia Wolf's "Mrs Dalloway" was confirmed for the next meeting on February 11th, 7.30pm.

The choice for March is "Walk the Blue Fields" by Claire Keegan. Date tbc.

Hi all, thanks for a lovely final Book Club Meeting, it was the first of alot of "lasts" to come. As discussed I am having a going away pub crawl on Saturday the 24th of January. It is a costume event with the theme being British. Come as anything you think a British Icon or Institute..or hey just come as a celebrity. Please note: anyone appearing as themselves will be booed and spat on hahaha. Only joking I understand that some may just want to pop in for a quick drink. The plan of action is to start at The Walkabout Pub on Carver Street (in between Division and West) at 3pm. By about 5/5.30pm the plan then is to be at The Graduate Pub (Surrey Street, opp The Central Library). Afterwards those still standing will head down to Affinity bar (Campo Lane) before ending the night at Dempseys. I myself will be in a Dick Van Dyke circa Mary Poppins Chimney Sweep get up. No big if people can't make it, I imagine I will not have the best motor skills after the first couple pints hahaha. PM me for my mobile number if you would like.

Thanks for such a great 15 months of literature sharing and just plain good company. I am sure I will be on the forum sporadically to give my opinions on your readings hahaha.

Best wishes,

Mocca

Mocca, sorry to miss your last book group, but I will catch up with you on Saturday.

I'm afraid I'm going to miss the February meeting, folks - have managed to double-book myself - but I have already bought the book for March, so will definitely see you then!

I am already hating Mrs Dalloway. I see the March book is another Irish one, we are rather over-reprsesented methinks.

hi

i'm moving to sheffield in the next month or so and would love to join your club (i couldn't actually find a book club to join here in london!). how do i go about it? i notice you have said you'll probably meet on 11th feb which by lucky coincidence i am in sheffield to go to university open day ...can i tag along to your meeting? where is the red lion? i'm from sheffield but been away a while and can't seem to fina my way around anymore maria x

You can join the group by just turning up at the next meeting :) The Red Lion is on Charles Street, off Arundel Gate, not far from the railway station - map.

Dammit, I was thinking of joining a book club but I remember hating Mrs Dalloway (don't remember much else, I think she was having a party?).

Then again, I don't seem to be the only one who didn't like it, maybe I could re-read it and share the hate ;-)

The book for March looks interesting though, might go straight for that one!

__K__

You could always just share the hate you have already built up by having this piece of bilge inflicted on you. :)

You could always just share the hate you have already built up by having this piece of bilge inflicted on you. :)

Not that you have strong feelings either way, eh? ;)

I think I'm glad I'll miss Mrs Dalloway... but am considering reading The Eyre Affair, just to catch up with the general hate vibe.

Don't get me re-started on that one! :rant::rant::rant:

would love to join the club -has a date been set for the March meet yet?and where do people get the books from-do you usually buy or library?

I don't think the March meeting is set. Will probably be 11 March I would guess. It is just up to the individual whether they buy the book or get it from the library.