The Red Lion Book Club (thread#3)

hahaha, have just placed a hold on it through the library, I am 66th in line to get it.

Hope everyone before me are speed readers.

See y'all in December.

Th Northern Clemency sounds a good choice - but at 736 pages I know what I'll be doing over the Christmas hols.

See you on 3rd Dec

Hi,

I've never been to a book club before and have no idea what to expect but I'd like to come...Um... is it ok to just turn up?

If so which Red Lion do you meet at and when's the January meeting please?

Thanks!

Hi Fitzgerald.

Yes, it's fine just to turn up.

We meet at the Red Lion on Charles Street (in the city centre, off Arundel Gate towards the train station).

The January meeting might be on Weds 14th, but will be confirmed at the December meeting which is on 3rd Dec.

Hi guys, just letting you know that I bumped into Margaret last night and she confirmed that yes, the book she was talking about is The Northern Clemency. She still can't log on to the forum as herself though.

Hi everyone,

Yes it was The Northern Clemency I was thinking of. Hope it is not too long to try and read before January! Will we decide for definite at December meeting?

See you on Dec 3rd for Dracula

Just wondering what time you're meeting on the 3rd. I'd love to come along if it'll fit around netball!

We meet at 7.30pm at the Red Lion on Charles Street: newcomers always welcome!

My apologies for not making it to the meeting as I am a little under the weather. In fact I felt so pale and lifeless when I awoke this morning that I fully expected to find two puncture marks on my neck.

I found Bram Stoker's Dracula a total pleasure to read. I savoured the quality of the writing and loved the story.

[spoiler Alert - if you haven't read it yet don't read this next bit]

My only disappointment was that Dracula didn't get to put up a fight at the climax. I would particularly have liked him to sink his fangs into the lecherous old Dr Van Helsing.

Definitely in competition with Mr Pip and Star of the Sea to be my favourite so far.

Quite curious about ths next book!!

Sorry you're not well, Ron.

Your thoughts - including the bit that disappointed you - echo fairly closely what people were saying last night.

Definitely one of my favourites!

Dear members of Red Lion Book Club,

I apologise for posting here in such a public place but I haven’t been able to get through to the pub, nor do I have any contacts for members of the Book Club.

We are a documentary film company with a strong record in producing high quality programmes for the BBC and Channel 4. We have recently been commissioned by Channel 4 to make another documentary for the channel’s flagship documentary strand, Cutting Edge. The premise of this film is very simple, to explore our nation’s relationship with the pub. In an attempt to focus the programme we will only be looking at pubs called ‘The Red Lion’ - the most common pub name.

By using this simple concept we can visit the whole spectrum of pubs – from the top end gastro/ food pubs to quiet village rural pub. The focus of the film is not on how these pubs are managed, but rather on who drinks in them and why. At a time when many pubs seem to be having a hard time, we want to make a film that looks at why pubs are so important to the people that drink in them.

Obviously, I'm aware that you have a book group, which meets in the same pub every month or so and it would be great if I could speak to someone about this in some more detail.

Please don’t hesitate to give me a call or email the address below to get in touch. Of course, speaking to me does not imply any commitment on either side. I look forward to hearing from somone soon.

Best wishes

Arron Fellows

Associate Producer

Wellpark Productions

020 8932 0133

Hello guys,

I have acquired Northern Clemency and have already reached page 8, so only another 730 pages to go. Can someone please confirm the date of the next meet. Is it Wed 14th Jan? If so, I still have a fighting chance....

cheers