The Red Lion Book Club (thread#3)

Our next meeting will be on Wednesday 9th July at 7.30pm in The Red Lion, Charles Street: we will be discussing The Woods by Harlan Coben.

This is a friendly reading and discussion group and newcomers are welcome.

We agreed to start a new thread to allow newcomers to get up-to-date without wading through pages and pages of posts*.

Being a forward-thinking bunch we have also selected a book for August - which will be Notes from an Exhibition by Patrick Gale (and yes, I am wracked with guilt over having chosen two of the last three books). Edited: I lie. Two out of the last four, so I feel a bit less guilty.

Previous books discussed by this group:

The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger

Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult

Star of the Sea by Joseph O Connor

Half of a Yellow Sun by C. Ngozi Adiche

The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde

Mister Pip by Lloyd Jones

Brick Lane by Monica Ali

The Book Thief by Marcus Zusak

A Spot Of Bother by Mark Haddon

*If you do wish to wade through pages of posts, they are here: http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=297086

p.s. The movie group, mentioned in last night's discussions, is here: http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?p=3638932#post3638932, although it too will probably have a new, streamlined thread soon.

p.p.s. Could anyone who's interested in the paperback exchange thingy I mentioned last night send me a pm with your email address? I will pass it on to the first five people from whom I get messages. Obviously anyone who misses out can have it passed to them from the people I pass it too. Forgive my waffling.

Thanks for starting the new thread shlg. Some interesting differences of opinion last night. I really enjoyed it. :)

Good work shlg! You are very organised as always! Looking forward to the next one already!

Shauna

Thank you for starting the new thread as I have been one of those people wading. Fingers crossed I shall be there on July 9th.

Claire

Just thought I'd bump this up. Are we well read and ready folks?

I have very nearly finished it. It hasn't taken very long but I was late starting because of moving house.

Hi Readers. What was the verdict on 'The Woods' then? Looking forward to seeing what the next choice is. Sorry I couldn't make it on Wednesday.

Hello!

I think the consensus was that it was what we expected - easy reading with a lot of cardboard characters...

What did you think?

Next Meeting is going to be on Wednesday 6 August to discuss Notes on an Exhibition by Patrick Gale. The meeting after that will be early September (I can't remember if we agreed a date!) to discuss The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood (as chosen by Mocca).

Thanks Shauna. I haven't got far into it actually, but it was keeping my interest ok. The next two should be interesting, including Mocca's favourite I see. Talking of which I'm also hoping to slip in Code's recommendation of "The End of the Affair" over the next few months. That's right isn't it Code13?

"The End of the Affair" is my favourite novel, yes. But its not a "book group choice" in case anyone in the thread gets confused. You were missed Ron. I think we agreed September 3rd for the Handmaid's Tale.

G'day Ron, yep I muscled in my fave (sorry) as I think that will be my last meeting before I am shipped out of the country, boooo!!

Just on a personal note though Book Groupers, I am having a few birthday drinks at The West End on Glossop Road this Saturday (the 2nd of August) from about 1.30pm to 4ish before heading to the Uni for Viva Climax, you're all welcome to come along and join me for a few libations otherwise I will see you next week.

Hiya have finished Notes on an Exhibition and think it's one of my favourites so far. Looking forward to the meet next week.

Mocca - have finally started Gone With The Wind! Only about a third way through it though.